Innovator Grants Program
Promoting research and collaborative scholarly projects to advance the academic interests of our faculty and the strategic themes of our department.
Funded Projects by Year
The Innovator Grants Program is designed to promote research and collaborative scholarly projects advancing the academic interests of our faculty and the strategic themes of the Department with two offerings:
- Pilot Studies in novel scientific areas that have high potential to lead to competitive grant applications
- Small Scholarly Projects related to areas including education, clinical care, community and health systems, and professional development
Projects across the full spectrum of science and scholarship are encouraged each year, and a large number of highly meritorious applications have been received, far exceeding the amount of funding available. The selected projects represent those most highly rated by reviewers and recognized for salience and balance across department missions.
- Weidong Cai, PhD (PI)
Developing transdiagnostic and diagnostic neuromarkers of attention deficits in children with ADHD and ASD
- Parnika Prashasti Saxena, MBBS (PI)
Predictive value of parasympathetic tone in individuals receiving electroconvulsive treatment
- Feng Vankee Lin, PhD (PI)
Development of an individual training algorithm for Stanford Geriatric Psychiatry Program
Small Scholarly Projects
- Nandini Datta, PhD (PI)
Retrospective Evaluation of Avoidant/Restrictive Food Intake Disorder Treatment and Clinical Features at Stanford’s Eating Disorders Outpatient Clinic
- Melanie Hom, PhD (PI)
Examining the Feasibility and Impact of a Novel Psychoeducation and Process Group for Asian and Asian American Psychiatric Outpatients
- Matthew Gunther, MD, MA (PI)
Delirium in the Medical Setting: Improving Awareness and Reducing Distress for Patients, Families, and Caregivers
- Grace Lee, PhD (PI)
Pilot study of virtual Cognitive Processing Therapy (CPT) skills group for individuals with psychosis and post-traumatic stress
- Celeste Poe, PhD, LMFT (PI)
PRIME3: Perinatal Resilience Initiative: Mental Health Equity through Education and Empowerment
- Stephen Sai Folmsbee, MD, PhD (PI)
Investigating the association between psychiatric medications, measures of inflammation, and clinical outcomes in neuroimmunologic diseases
Qingyu Zhao, Ph.D. (PI)
Neural and Behavioral Risk Factors for Depressive Symptoms in Emerging Adults during COVID-19
Small Scholarly Projects
- Erin Cassidy Eagle, Ph.D. (PI)
Promoting Psychological Wellness in Older Adults
- Huiqiong Deng, MD, PhD (PI)
A survey study of Asian college student mental health during COVID in the United States
- Mari Kurahashi, M.D., MPH (PI)
Developing Digital Parent-Based Psychiatric Treatments to Address the Pediatric Mental Health Access Crisis
- Jonathan Lee, M.D., MBA (PI)
Using Text Analysis and Online Survey Experiments to Study Distrust in Public Health Institutions
- Daryn Reicherter, M.D. (PI)
“I want my. Stōkt T.V.” Producing a short film-based Toolkit based on “The Psychology of Stoked" undergraduate course to help address the California High School system’s mental health crisis.
- Carolyn Rodriguez, M.D., Ph.D. (PI)
Building Research Interest (BRIGHT) in Psychiatry Training: A Pilot Inclusive Research Career Pipeline Program
- Tali Ball, Ph.D. (PI), Katie Fracalanza, Ph.D.
Development and Pilot of a Single Session Anxiety Management Intervention
- Mickey T. Trockel, M.D., Ph.D. (PI), Ripal Shah, M.D., MPH; Nikitha K. Menon, BA
Understanding Race-Related Resilience and Protective Factors in Experience and Measurement of Burnout: Studying How to Appropriately Evaluate Distress in Racial Minority Physicians
- Agnieszka Kalinowski, M.D., Ph.D. (PI), Jong Yoon, M.D., MPH and Alexander Urban, Ph.D.
Validation study of high molecular weight C4A protein in PBMCs from patients with Schizophrenia
- Amy Alexander, M.D. (PI), Yasmin Owusu, M.D.; Seanna Leath, Ph.D.; Eyuel Terefe, PGY-4
Racial discrimination in medicine: understanding individual and institutional factors that affect perceived discrimination
- Isheeta Zalpuri, M.D. (PI), Grace Gengoux, Ph.D., BCBA-D, Sallie De Golia M.D., MPH, Kim Bullock, M.D.
Leadership Academy: Improving Professional Fulfillment for Psychiatry Department Faculty through Joint Leadership Training
- William Giardino, Ph.D. (PI)
Sexually Dimorphic Hormonal Influences on Stress Neurocircuit Function
- Flint M. Espil, Ph.D. (PI), Ian H. Kratter, M.D., Ph.D.
Broadening the OCD Horizons: A Pilot Study to Establish the Validity of Pictures for Individualized Symptom Provocation
- Ehsan Adeli, Ph.D. (PI), Edith V. Sullivan, Ph.D.
Prediction of Postural Instability for Relating Static Balance and Dynamic Gait Features to Central Nervous System Mechanisms in Alcohol Use Disorder and Mild Cognitive Impairment
- Erin Gibson, Ph.D. (PI)
Circadian Control of White Matter Maturation: A New Perspective on Autism
- Daryn Reicherter, M.D. (PI), David Cohen, Ph.D., Ryan Matlow, Ph.D., Beth van Schaack, Ph.D., J.D.
Defining Human Psychology as the Target of Crimes Against Humanity: A New Mechanism to Bring Mental Health Resources to the Traumatized Survivors
- Rania Awaad, M.D. (PI)
Suicide Prevention and Postvention Trainings for Muslim Community Leaders
- Scott Hall, Ph.D. (PI), Joy Pollard, Ph.D.
Evaluating a Telehealth System for the Treatment of Gaze Avoidance in Children with ASD using Google Glass Enterprise Edition
- Pablo Paredes, Ph.D. (PI)
Calm Me Now: Experimental sensing and intervention platform to explore optimal times to deliver just-in-time stress management interventions to increase adherence
Small Scholarly Projects
- Yasmin Owusu, M.D. (PI), Ketetha Olengue, M.D. and Ripal Shah, M.D., MPH
Processing of Anti-Black Racism through Intradepartmental Black Community Building Events
- Huiqiong Deng, M.D., Ph.D.. (PI), Amy Alexander, M.D., Aaron Winkler, M.D., Katherine Fu, M.D., Rishab Gupta, M.D., Hira Ayub Silat, M.D., Donna Tran B.S., B.A.
Impacts of Discrimination and Racism Experienced by Asian American Medical Students, Residents, and Fellows Subsequent to Covid-19
- Ripal Shah, M.D., MPH (PI), Carmin Powell, M.D.; Carolyn Rodriguez, M.D., Ph.D.; Magali Fassiotto, Ph.D.; Tene Redman, M.D.
Engaging in Anti-Racism Conversations Using Restorative Justice
- Sanno Zack, Ph.D. (PI), Alix Simonson, M.S., Hannah Steinberg, B.S.
Reducing Drop-out for Racially Diverse Patients in Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills Groups
- Lawrence M McGlynn, M.D. (PI), Ripal Shah, M.D., MPH; Robert Meisner, M.D. Studying LGBTQ+ Mental Health Consequences of Relational Distress and Loss during COVID-19
- Steven Sust, M.D. (PI), Shashank Joshi, M.D., FAAP, DFAACAP, Steven Adelsheim, M.D., Vicki Harrison, M.S.W., Ivan Rodriguez, M.F.A.
Revisiting Young Adults in Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet: Multiple Missed Opportunities to Change the Ending
- Christina Tara Khan, M.D., Ph.D. (PI)
Assessing traumatic stress and burnout in physician trainees
- Elizabeth Reichert, Ph.D. (PI) and Mari Kurahashi, M.D., MPH, David Hong, M.D. (PI)
Empowering Parents to Protect Children from Mental Health Consequences of COVID-19 through the Stanford Parenting Center
- Janani Venugopalakrishnan, M.D., MPH (PI), Kate Hardy, ClinPsyD
Virtual reality based Telehealth therapeutic intervention in first onset psychosis
- Michael Ostacher, M.D., M.P.H., M.MSc. (PI), Anish Mitra, M.D., Ph.D., Rachel Gershon, Ph.D.
Searching for Help: Using Google Adwords for Suicide Prevention
- Eric Stice, Ph.D. (PI), Cara Bohon, Ph.D.
Pilot Testing Virtual Delivery of the Body Project Eating Disorder Prevention Program
- Stephanie Clarke, Ph.D. (PI), Sanno Zack, Ph.D., Michele Berk, Ph.D.
Safety, Feasibility, and Acceptability of a Dialectical Behavior Therapy Prolonged Exposure Protocol for Adolescents
- Victoria E. Cosgrove, Ph.D. (PI), Katherine Ort, M.D., Sheri Spunt, M.D.
Feasibility and Acceptability of a Brief Intervention to Reduce Anxiety and Promote Resilience in Caregivers of Youth with Newly-Diagnosed Cancer
- Huiqiong Deng, M.D. Ph.D. (PI), Anna Lembke, M.D., Ori-Michael Johanan Benhamou, M.D., M.M.S.
An electronic chart intervention to improve safety for patients on chronic opioid therapy
- Karen J. Parker, Ph.D. (PI), Alexander E. Urban, Ph.D., Elena Itskovich, Ph.D.
Mechanisms of Arginine Vasopressin Signaling in iPSC-derived Neurons
- Kaustubh Supekar, Ph.D. (PI)
Neurobiological Markers of Comorbid Autism Spectrum Disorder and Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder
- Tamar Green, M.D. (PI)
Gaining insights: the effects of the RMK gain-of-function mutations on brain development and neurodevelopmental symptoms
- Timothy C. Durazzo, Ph.D. (PI), Claudia B. Padula, Ph.D.
Non-invasive combination therapy modulation of emotional salience circuits in Veterans with alcohol use disorder at risk for relapse following treatment
Small Scholarly Projects
- James Lock, M.D., Ph.D. (PI), Brittany Matheson, Ph.D.
Acceptability and Feasibility of Utilizing TeleHealth to Deliver Evidence-based Treatments for Eating Disorders in Children and Adolescents
- Sepideh Bajestan, M.D., Ph.D. (PI), John Barry, M.D., Michel Medina, M.D., Octavio Choi, M.D., Ph.D., Sharon Sha, M.D., Joseph Cooper, M.D.
The Stanford Psychiatry Initiative for Innovative Neuroimaging Education (SPIINE): Investigating 3-D Virtual Reality Technology
- Jennifer Keller, Ph.D. (PI), Nancy Morgan, Ph.D.
Development of the Building Empowerment and Resilience Therapeutic Group for Homeless Women
- Octavio Choi, M.D., Ph.D. (PI), David Eagleman, Ph.D.
Insight into the unthinkable: towards an integrated understanding of mass shooters and mass shootings.
- Sheila Lahijani, M.D. (PI)
Debriefing Sessions for Trainee Empowerment and a Sense of Belonging
- Whitney Daniels, M.D. (PI)
A pilot of ethnically informed cultural consultation for inpatient pediatric medicine and implications towards future digitalization.
- Manpreet Singh, M.D., M.S. (PI), Nolan Williams, M.D.; Hugh Brent Solvason, Ph.D., M.D., Keith Sudheimer, Ph.D., and Antonio Hardan, M.D.
Evaluating the efficacy and tolerability of targeted transcranial magnetic stimulation in youth
- Richard Shaw, M.D. (PI), Booil Jo, Ph.D., and LaTrice L. Dowtin, Ph.D.
Group-Based Trauma Focused Cognitive Behavior Therapy (TF-CBT) to Prevent Psychological Stress in Parents of Premature Infants
- Peter van Roessel, M.D., Ph.D. (PI), Booil Jo, Ph.D., Chi-Ming Chen, Ph.D., and Carolyn Rodriguez, M.D., Ph.D.
Vestibular Neuromodulation of Insight: A Pilot Study in Obsessive-Compulsive Spectrum Disorders
- Luis de Lecea, Ph.D. (PI), Jeremy Borniger, Ph.D., Andrew Krystal, M.D., (UCSF), Aric Prather, Ph.D. (UCSF), and Brice Gaudilliere, M.D., Ph.D. (Anesthesia)
Linking Brain to Immunity via Deep Brain Stimulation and Mass Cytometry
- Andrea Goldstein-Piekarski, Ph.D. (PI) and Nolan Williams, M.D.
Sleep as a Mechanistic Target and Predictive Biomarker of an accelerated rTMS Intervention for Depression and Suicidality
- John Leikauf, M.D. (PI), Leanne Williams, Ph.D., and Carlos Correa, BS
- Daryn Reicherter, M.D. (PI) and Ryan Matlow, Ph.D.
Expansion of Trauma Mental Health Outcomes Data Collection in Survivors for Advocacy in Three Different Legal Contexts
- Jong Yoon, M.D. (PI) and Daniel Jurafsky
Developing Automated Methods for Characterizing Speech and Language Disturbances in Schizophrenia
Small Scholarly Projects
- Thalia Robakis, M.D., Ph.D. (PI) and Jane Kim, Ph.D.
Maternal attachment style in relation to parenting practices and child development
- Mahendra Bhati, M.D. (PI), and Amit Etkin, M.D., Ph.D.
Detecting and inhibiting fear with responsive neurostimulation (RNS) of the human amygdala
- Kim Bullock, M.D. (PI), Jeremy N. Bailenson, Ph.D., and Andrea Stevenson Won, Ph.D.
A Randomized Controlled Trial of Virtual Reality Delivered Mirror Visual Feedback for Functional Neurological Disorder
- James R. Jacobs, M.D., Ph.D. (PI), Keith Sudheimer, Ph.D.
The Neurophysiology of Secrets
- Agnieszka Kalinowski, M.D., Ph.D. (PI), Alexander Urban, Ph.D., Ruth O'Hara, Ph.D., Jacob Ballon, M.D., M.P.H., Laramie Duncan, Ph.D., and Steve Ho, B.S.
Leveraging Metabolomics and Genomics of Dopamine Regulation for Precision Medicine to Treat Psychiatric Disorders
- Adam Miner, Psy.D. (PI), Stewart Agras, M.D., Bruce Arnow, Ph.D., and Nigam Shah, M.B.B.S., Ph.D.
Natural language processing to detect features of successful psychotherapy
- Kristine Luce, Ph.D. (PI), Tali Ball, Ph.D. (PI), and Leanne Williams, Ph.D.
Personalized trans-diagnostic group therapy for anxiety: Program development and quality improvement
- Jamie Zeitzer, Ph.D. (PI), Daniel Jin Blum, Ph.D., Fiona Barwick, Ph.D., and Emmanuel During, M.D.
Restless Leg Syndrome: Does it start with a Gut Feeling?
*Made possible by a generous donor
Small Scholarly Projects
- Steve Adelsheim, M.D. (PI), and Nina Vasan, M.D.
The Hope and Hype of Technology Ventures in Transforming Brain Health
- Belinda Bandstra, M.D., M.A. (PI), Mario Mercurio, Yasmin Owusu, M.D., and Ripal Shah, M.D., M.P.H.
Recruitment and Retainment of Underrepresented Minority Faculty and Residents
- Fiona Barwick, Ph.D. (PI), and Kevin Lee, M.D.
Student Sleep Health Pilot Project
- Ryan Matlow, Ph.D. (PI), and Flint M. Espil, Ph.D.
Implementing Evidence-Based Mental Health Care in East Palo Alto Schools
- Lawrence McGlynn, M.D. (PI), Ripal Shah, M.D., M.P.H., and Neir Eshel, M.D., Ph.D.
LGBTQ Mental Health: Opportunities for Research and Practice
- Norah Simpson, Ph.D. (PI), and Scott Kutscher, M.D.
Development and Evaluation of a Sleep Health Educational Resource for Stanford Student Athletes
- Shannon Sullivan, M.D. (PI), and Michelle Cao, D.O.
Home-Based Early Detection of Disrupted Sleep in Children with Risk Factors for Sleep Disordered Breathing
- Mytilee Vemuri, M.D., M.B.A. (PI)
Addressing Cultural factors affecting Professional Fulfillment within the Department of Psychiatry Outpatient Clinics
- Sarah Adler, PsyD
Analysis of Measurement Based Care Data to Inform Clinical Decision-Making: Building the Model
- Cara Bohon, PhD
Abnormal Perceptual Processing as a Maintaining Mechanism of Body-Image Disturbance in Adolescents with Anorexia Nervosa: Identifying a Novel Treatment Target
- Weidong Cai, PhD
Dynamic Brain States and Connectivity in Children with Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder and Its Relation to Intra-Individual Variability and Clinical Symptoms
- Erin Cassidy-Eagle, PhD
Activate! Training Primary Care Providers in Behavioral Activation Therapy for Older Adults with Depression
- Grace Gengoux, PhD
Parent Training to Enhance Social Success for Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Hadi Hosseini, PhD
Integrating Virtual Reality and NIRS Neurofeedback for Improving Executive Function in ADHD
- Debra Safer, MD
Assessing the Feasibility and Acceptability of a Parent-Based Intervention to Reduce the Risk of Obesity in Children of Weight Loss Surgery Patients
- Ranak Trivedi, PhD
Determining the Interdependence of Stress and Physical Activity Among Patients and Their Informal Caregivers
Small Scholarly Projects
- Sepideh Bajestan, MD, PhD
Patient-Centered Clinical Neuroscience Training to Facilitate the Communication with Challenging Neuropsychiatric Patients
- Victoria Cosgrove, PhD
Assessing Need for Psychosocial Support in Families with a Child Undergoing Treatment in the Bass Center for Childhood Cancer and Blood Diseases at LPCH
- Christina Tara Khan, MD, PhD
Integrating Mental Health into Primary Care in Rural Guatemala Through Task Shifting to Public Health Clinic Physicians
- Philippe Mourrain, PhD
Pharmacological and Genetic Interrogation of Circuit Dynamics in the Parkinsonian Brain
- Oxana Palesh, PhD, MPH
Ingrid Oakley-Girvan, PhD, MPH
Does Improving Sleep Modify Potentially Relevant Clinical Biomarkers Among Breast Cancer Patients Undergoing Chemotherapy?
- Jennifer Phillips, PhD
Development of a Measure of Social Motivation in Autism
- Jacob Ballon, M.D.
Open Label, Flexible-Dose, Adjunctive Bromocriptine for Patients with Schizophrenia and Metabolic Dysfunction
- Michele Berk, Ph.D. & Moira Kessler, M.D.
Pilot Test of a DBT Parenting Intervention for Youth Who Have Recently Attempted Suicide
- Kim Bullock, M.D.
Virtual Reality for Functional Neurological Symptom Disorder
- Tamar Green, M.D.
The Brain in Noonan Syndrome: a Pilot Study
- Manish Saggar, Ph.D.
Deciphering “Ongoing” Cognition Using Concurrent Multimodal Neuroimaging and Continuous Multitask Paradigm
- Nolan Williams, M.D.
Comparison of the Clinical Efficacy and Change in Resting State Functional Connectivity of Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation versus Theta-Burst Stimulation over Left DLPFC in Resistant Depression
Small Scholarly Projects
- Sarah Adler, Psy.D.
Addressing Perceived Barriers to Implementation of Measurement Based Care: A Pilot Feasibility and Acceptability Study
- Erin Cassidy Eagle, Ph.D. & Laura Dunn, M.D.
Older Adults Access to Quality Mental Health Services
- Angie Chwen-Yuen Chen, M.D.
Safe Reduction of Chronic High Dose Opioid and Benzodiazepine Prescribing in the Primary Care Setting: Physician Support and Needs Assessment
- Joseph Cheung, M.D.
Applying Wearable Technology and Genetics to Study Extreme Long Sleepers
- Kate Hardy, ClinPsychD
Pilot Study Investigating the Impact of a Group-Based Worry Intervention Trial on Attenuated Psychotic Symptoms, Worry, and Distress in Adolescents At-Risk of Developing Psychosis
- Christina Khan, M.D. , Ph.D.
Improving Pediatric Behavioral Health Integration at a Federally Qualified Community Health Center in East Palo Alto, CA
- Jane Kim, Ph.D.
Development of Tailoring Guidelines for Personalizing Behavioral Intervention Technologies
- Daniel Mason, M.D. & Katherine Eisen, Ph.D.
Reading and Recovery Expectations: Developing a Bibliotherapy Group for an Acute Inpatient Psychiatric Unit
- Diana Naranjo, Ph.D.
Training Mental Health Care Providers in Diabetes Distress to Address Psychosocial Need in Youth and Young Adults with Type 1 Diabetes
- Daryn Reicherter, M.D. & Ellie Williams, M.D.
Bringing Care to New Moms: Collaboration between the Gardner Packard Children’s Health Center and the Stanford Department of Psychiatry for the Evaluation and Treatment of Postpartum Depression
- Carolyn Rodriguez, M.D. , Ph.D.
Building Community-Academic Partnerships for Evidence-Based Treatment of Hoarding Disorder
- Yelizaveta Sher, M.D.
Quality Improvement Project on Screening, Monitoring and Timely Treatment of Delirium Immediately Post Lung Transplantation
- Shannon Sullivan, M.D. & Michelle Cao, DO
Survey of Sleep Education Offered by US Medical Residency Training Program
- Ellie Williams, M.D. & Julie Weitlauf, Ph.D.
Women’s Health and Wellness Advanced Clinical Didactic Workshop: Assessment and Treatment of Genito-Pelvic Pain/Penetration Disorder in Women with Interpersonal Trauma Exposure