Advanced Experiences for Stanford and Visiting Students
Stanford University’s Department of Neurology and Neurological Sciences is thrilled to offer advanced clinical and research experiences in Neurology for Stanford and visiting students. This elective is often selected by those students interested in pursuing future residency training and careers in neurology and/or the neurosciences. Students will be expected to perform at a "sub-intern" level, where students will have increased independence as a student member of the team on the Stanford inpatient Consult, Stroke, and/or Neuro-ICU services, and in some cases in other specialty experiences in inpatient and outpatient neurology. In addition to this advanced clinical role, the visiting students will have an option to be a near-peer mentor and educator for the neurology clerkship students.
Visiting scholars are welcome this year for rotation periods beginning on August 23, 2021!
Please see full details, including course descriptions and contact information:
NENS 398A: Advanced Clinical Elective in Neurology
Note: students require pre-approval from the Clerkship Director prior to application submission. Please contact us for further information:
CLERKSHIP DIRECTOR: Veronica Santini, MD, MA, firstname.lastname@example.org
CLERKSHIP COORDINATOR: Christine Hopkins, email@example.com
Underrepresented in Medicine Funding for Visiting Scholars
Stanford School of Medicine and the Department of Neurology offer funding for visiting scholars who are under-represented in medicine, socially, economically, or educationally disadvantaged, and others whose backgrounds and experiences would diversify Neurology through the Stanford Clinical Opportunity for Residency Experience (SCORE) program. We also accept applicants with funding through the American Academy of Neurology Medical Student Diversity Scholarship (see details below).
Diversity is a core value at Stanford Medicine and in the Department of Neurology. As part of our efforts to recruit and support individuals from all backgrounds, our visiting sub-internship clerkship experience is designed to give students an opportunity to take part in the exceptional training environment at Stanford. All applicants are considered equally, and students would not have to submit both a SCORE application and a traditional elective application.
SCORE Program Details
- Funding includes up to $2,000 for reimbursement of travel expenses
- Housing accommodations for the duration of the rotation will be provided at no additional cost
- Each student will be paired with a faculty member who will serve as a mentor and advisor
- Each student will meet with Stanford Neurology residents and fellows who will introduce them to our diverse community
- Each student will have the option of interviewing for a residency position during their rotation
- Neurology rotation period options: 3-6 (to correspond to our interview season)
- Online application deadline is Friday, April 30, 2021
- Complete the application at the SCORE website
- How to Apply
The Department of Neurology also supports students who have applied through the American Academy of Neurology Medical Student Diversity Scholarship