Spring 2023 Newsletter
Events, Engagement, Select Recent Publications + Podcasts + Videos
Please join us on April 22, 2023, for the Sixth Annual Stanford Head and Neck Cancer Patient and Caregiver Education Symposium. Our program will be held from 8:00 am - 4:00 pm PDT at Paul Brest Hall. For those who are unable to join in person, the event will also be held virtually. It will include information about innovative updates in treating head and neck cancer. The highlights include a talk on how patients and healthcare providers can work together to improve the patient care experience by Dr. Justin Roe of the Royal Marsden Hospital in London. To learn more about the program and to register for either the in-person or virtual event, please visit this link.
On a weekly basis, we hold our grand rounds which include formal talks by Stanford faculty, trainees, and distinguished guests about everything from fascinating cases to the most current technological breakthroughs in global health. Please visit this link to view previously recorded rounds and our calendar schedule.
In January, an interdisciplinary team led by facial plastic and reconstructive surgeon, Dr. Sam Most traveled to Phnom Penh, Cambodia to work at the Khmer Soviet Hospital with Smile Cambodia/Northwest Medical Volunteers. This was the first mission to return post-COVID. During this mission, the team screened 130+ patients and performed life-changing surgery for over 40+ patients, including cleft lip & palate repair, microtia reconstruction, and much more. Along with Dr. Most, the Stanford team consisted of pediatric otolaryngologist Dr. Mai Thy Truong, FPRS fellow Dr. Kyle Kimura, OHNS resident Dr. Eric Wei, and nurses Amy Mladineo, Amanda Miroyan, and Ben Valle. We are deeply appreciative of the local community for warmly welcoming our team and to the patients and families who entrusted us with their care.
Heal Remote is a 501(c)(3) global telehealth nonprofit cofounded by Stanford OHNS resident, Noel Ayoub. This organization provides free telehealth to those affected by the earthquake in Turkey and Syria. This nonprofit connects U.S. healthcare providers to communities abroad thatare affected by acute crises. This nonprofit has previously helped patients in Ukraine after the onset of the war and in Lebanon after the 2020 explosion.
- Abnormal Subjective and Audiometric Auditory Function in Migraine. Wang AR, Steenerson KK, Alyono JC. Otolaryngology–Head and Neck Surgery. 2023 Jan 29 doi:10.1002/ohn.201
- Comparative Transcriptomic Analysis of Archival Human Vestibular Schwannoma Tissue from Patients with and without Tinnitus. Bommakanti K, Seist R, Kukutla P, et al. Journal of Clinical Medicine. 2023 Apr 1;12(7):2642. doi:10.3390/jcm12072642
- Comparison of the Distribution of Standardized Cosmesis and Health Nasal Outcomes Survey Scores Between Symptomatic and Asymptomatic Patients. Patel PN, Wadhwa H, Okland T, Kandathil CK, Most SP. Facial Plast Surg Aesthet Med. 2022 Jul 29;24(4):305-309. doi:10.1089/fpsam.2021.0054
- Coupling between the Stereocilia of Rat Sensory Inner-Hair-Cell Hair Bundles Is Weak, Shaping Their Sensitivity to Stimulation. Scharr AL, Maoiléidigh DÓ, Ricci AJ. J Neurosci. 2022 Dec 8;43(12):2053-2074. doi:10.1523/JNEUROSCI.1588-22.2023
- COVID can trigger tinnitus. Could the vaccines do the same?Haelle T. National Geographic. 2023 February 10.
- Difference in Perception of Nasal Aesthetic Appearance Between Surgeons and Rhinoplasty Patients: A Single-Center Perspective. Kim CH, Kandathil CK, Saltychev M, et al. Aesthet Surg J. 2023;43(4):516-522. doi:10.1093/asj/sjac317
- Integrated microtia and aural atresia management. Truong MT, Liu YCC, Kohn J, et al. Frontiers in Surgery. 2022 Dec 26;9. doi:10.3389/fsurg.2022.944223
- Perceptions of Respect Among Patients With Hearing Loss in the United States. Youn GM, Shah JP, Wei EX, Alyono JC. Otolaryngology–Head and Neck Surgery. 2023 Mar 30. doi: 10.1002/ohn.330.
- Prognostication of papillary thyroid microcarcinoma based on preoperative ultrasound. Cohen SM, Noel JE, Baroody M, Orloff LA. Frontiers in Endocrinology. 2023 Jan 30;14. doi:10.3389/fendo.2023.1101705
- Robert Jackler, M.D. on JUUL‘s 5000 Lawsuits and Settlements. Wase A. Stanford Daily. 2023 Feb 6.
- Safety and effectiveness of vocal fold injection laryngoplasty in infants less than one year of age. Ayoub N, Balakrishnan K, Meister K, et al. International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology. 2023 Mar 31;168:111542. doi:10.1016/j.ijporl.2023.111542
- Safety and Utility of Transnasal Humidified Rapid-Insufflation Ventilatory Exchange (THRIVE) for Laser Laryngeal Surgery. Khan NC, Vukkadala N, Saxena A, Damrose EJ, Nekhendzy V, Sung CK. Otolaryngology–Head and Neck Surgery. 2023 Apr 6. doi:10.1002/ohn.324
- Sensory deficit screen identifies nsf mutation that differentially affects SNARE recycling and quality control. Gao Y, Khan YA, Mo W, et al. Cell Reports. 2023 Apr 5;42(4):112345. doi:10.1016/j.celrep.2023.112345
- Septoplasty Revision Rates in Pediatric vs Adult Populations. Shah JP, Youn GM, Wei EX, Kandathil C, Most SP. JAMA Otolaryngology–Head & Neck Surgery. 2022 Nov 1;148(11):1044-1050. doi:10.1001/jamaoto.2022.3041
- Smell-Loss Tests Could Reveal Health Problems. Docter-Loeb H. Scientific American. 2023 March 28.
- Social Media Utilization in Otolaryngology: A Scoping Review. Huang AE, Chan EP, Stave CM, Patel ZM, Hwang PH, Chang MT. The Laryngoscope. 2023 February 22. doi:10.1002/lary.30619
- Synkinesis and Communicative Participation. Okland TS, Willens SH, Pepper JP. Facial Plast Surg Aesthet Med. 2022 Oct 18. doi:10.1089/fpsam.2022.0094
- The Future of Vestibular Schwannoma Management. Moore LS, Stankovic KM. Otolaryngologic Clinics of North America. 2023 Apr 3;S0030-6665(23)00040-3. doi:10.1016/j.otc.2023.02.018
- The single-stage melolabial flap for internal lining of full thickness defects of the nasal ala. Okland TS, Akkina SR, Perrault D, Most SP. American Journal of Otolaryngology. 2023 Apr 3;44(3):103804. doi:10.1016/j.amjoto.2023.103804
- The Utility of a “Second-Look” Debridement Following Endonasal Skull Base Surgery in the Pediatric Population. Chang MT, Huang AE, Quon JL, et al. J Neurol Surg B Skull Base. 2023 March 30. doi:10.1055/a-2048-7564
- Turbinates, Nasal Congestion, and Dreaded Empty Nose with Dr. Jayakar Nayak. Agan A, Shah G. 2023 Feb 15.
- Value of Surgical and Nonsurgical Treatment for Sleep Apnea: A Closer Look at Healthcare Utilization. Abdelwahab M, Marques S, Huang A, et al. Value of Surgical and Nonsurgical Treatment for Sleep Apnea: A Closer Look at Healthcare Utilization. Otolaryngology—Head and Neck Surgergy. 2023 February 16. doi:10.1002/ohn.175