Resident Quality of Life
Anesthesia residency education at Stanford is a period of intense didactic education and clinical training, which results in the development of the skills needed to be the future leaders in the field. At the same time, our department is dedicated to providing a high quality of life for its residents through a variety of programs including work-hour limitations, an innovative “comp time” system that acknowledges and rewards resident work contributions, and an annual department-sponsored two-day resident retreat at a resort in California.
Annual Resident Retreat
Each Spring, residents attend a two-day retreat in Lake Tahoe where they enjoy camaraderie amidst the beauty and tranquility of the largest fresh water lake in the Sierra Nevada mountains. The Department of Anesthesia provides resort accommodations and recreational activities for residents so that they can have an opportunity to unwind from the rigors of residency training with their colleagues. Stanford Anesthesia faculty provide full clinical coverage for residents during this retreat.
If you decide to come to Stanford for your residency training, you will live in one of the most beautiful and diverse areas in the world. A typical weekend might include hiking in the Marin headlands, shopping for organic produce at a local farmers’ market, or dining in San Francisco, a city that is widely regarded as the nation’s mecca for innovative cuisine. Closer to home, Stanford University offers a plethora of recreational activities. The campus houses one million gross feet of indoor athletic facilities including 4 pools, 33 tennis courts, 3 fitness centers and a championship golf course. There are also many arts offerings, such as shows, speakers, and museums, both at Stanford and in San Francisco.
Greater Bay Area
- Sports teams: San Francisco Giants, Golden State Warriors, San Francisco 49ers
- Mid-Peninsula Open Space Preserve: https://openspace.org/
- San Francisco: world-class city!
- Santa Cruz: mountain biking, surfing, redwood forests
- Napa: wine-tasting
- Lake Tahoe: enjoy snow in the winter, hiking/camping/water activities in the summer
Stanford Freebies and Discounts
- 20% off Football Season Tickets for Hospital Staff (http://www.gostanford.com/staff)
- 20% off Bing Concert Hall tickets for Stanford Hospital Staff (http://live.stanford.edu/Venues/boxinfo.php#discounts)
- Cantor Arts Museum: free admission, free family tours and activities (http://museum.stanford.edu/)
- Hoover Tower: free admission to top with Stanford ID
- The Dish: free access, walking & jogging (no bikes allowed)
- Library access
- Athletics access pass
Department Social Events
- Welcome Reception each July for incoming CA-1s
- Annual Holiday Party
- Stanford Anesthesia Football Tailgates: free, catered events (BYOB). Significant others and kids welcome!
- Department Golf Tournament (Stanford Golf Course)
- Happy Hours
- Make-Your-Own Event
- Check out our Instagram here :