Generating over four billion pounds of waste each year, the healthcare system in the United States is the second largest contributor of trash, with one-third produced by operating rooms . Our goal is to work as a multidisciplinary team to implement simple changes within the department that are both cost-saving and waste-reducing. Stanford Health Care and LPCH have been awarded a 2020 Environmental Excellence Award from Practice Greenhealth. Stanford Medical students are also involved in hospital sustainability efforts.
 The Green Operating Room: Simple Changes to Reduce Cost and Our Carbon Footprint
Next Areas of Focus
- Re-ordering of reusable laryngoscope blades and handles
- Increase use of low fresh gas flow anesthesia; working with Epic team to develop an intelligent reminder to decrease gas flows when appropriate
- Reusable ECG Leads
- Reduction of redundant or unnecessary blue drape waste
- PVC-free IV tubing/fluid bags
- Reducing unnecessary mepilex use
Green Anesthesia meetings are held every 4 weeks on the first Thursday of the month via Zoom. All faculty, residents, and fellows are welcome and encouraged to attend meetings. New ideas for projects are always welcome!
Please reach out to our list of members any time: