Clinical Science, Technology and Medicine
Summer Internships 2021
Compassionate careers, inspiring mentorship, clinical and technology skills
An inspirational summer internships 2021
Explore careers in clinical sciences and technology
Are you a high school or college student with a passion for health care?
Tailored for career success
Our two-week medical internships for high school students and pre-med undergraduate students seeking careers in clinical medicine, STEM, biomedical research, and the application of technology in medicine.
Are you curious about clinical sciences, health care technology, or research?
Guided by leading Stanford faculty
We focus on clinical medicine at the intersection of science and technology. We provide hands-on experience with clinical skills such as suturing, splinting, and intubation. Students receive mentorship from Stanford medical students and faculty to cultivate career development.
Empowered with skills and experience
As technology continues to transform the way we navigate our medical system, it is imperative to equip students with necessary health care technology skills to anticipate future challenges with thought, inclusivity, and professionalism.
Larry Chu, MD
Professor, Stanford University School of Medicine
Amy Price, DPhil (Oxon)
Senior Research Scientist
Bassam Kadry, MD
Associate Program Director, Leadership
"The program offers many opportunities to connect with professionals and ePatients with exposure and expertise not only in anesthesiology, but in global health, biotechnology, and other areas. Students can find mentors that can invaluably inform their career choices, offer unique opportunities and insight in the medical industry, and career building advice beyond high school and undergraduate studies."
~Rafael Ricon, 2018 Graduate with Distinction
An immersive Stanford learning experience
Unique hands-on experiences at the Stanford School of Medicine
A GLIMPSE OF SOME OF THE HANDS-ON EXPERIENCES WE PROVIDE:
- Perform intubations and IV placements in a state-of the-art simulation lab.
- Master airway anatomy using high-fidelity simulators and virtual reality.
- Observe anesthesiologists providing patient care in a clinical setting.
- Collaborate in a team environment to address a simulated airway emergency.
HOSTED ON THE STANFORD CAMPUS:
- Simulation sessions held at Stanford's Center for Immersive and Simulation-based Learning & Veterans Health Administration Simulation Center.
- Daily educational sessions - didactics led by Anesthesia experts, problem-based-learning exercises, medical career workshops, design charettes, medical education media creation, and more.
- Tour Stanford facilities housing the latest innovations in health care, including 3D bioprinters and robotic surgical systems.
A Note On COVID-19: Stanford University School of Medicine has placed a hold on in-person training for summer programs as of Winter Quarter 2020 due to the global COVID-19 pandemic. Our program dates for 2021 are virtual and the program fees reflect a reduction in fees to reflect the virtual nature of the program.
A curriculum grounded in the clinical sciences
A rigorous two-week program led by Stanford faculty
Our two-week medical internships for high school students and premedical students begins with a broad overview of health care, framed within the perspective of anesthesiology, perioperative and pain medicine. In the first week our students receive an introduction to the principles of the health care system, patient-centered care, and physiology of major organ systems. Concepts of technology, particularly digital health and emerging technologies and their potential application to meet gaps in the health care system are also introduced.
Students also begin working on capstone projects with teams, in co-production with Medicine X ePatient mentors. In the second week, our students apply their foundational learnings to clinical medical practice through BLS certification training, and immersive learning sessions in obstetric anesthesia, regional anesthesia, simulation and crisis management in medicine. The program concludes with a formal presentation of capstone projects to a panel of esteemed scholars.
Important Dates for Summer Internships 2021
- PROGRAM DATES
- Applications Open: January 15, 2021
- Session 1: June 21 - July 2 (Suspended due to COVID-19 pandemic)
- Session 2: July 26 - August 6, 2021
- EARLY DECISION
- Early Decision Application Deadline: February 15, 2021 (Extended to March 5)
- Early Decision Notification of Acceptance Status: March 1, 2021
- Early Decision Tuition and Forms Due: April 15, 2021
- STANDARD DECISION
- Standard Application Deadline: March 5, 2021 (Extended to March 19)
- Standard Notification of Acceptance Status: April 5, 2021
- Standard Decision Tuition and Forms Due: April 30, 2021
Highlights and snapshots from our past summer sessions
Diverse faculty expertise* 2021 Faculty will be announced soon
Leading experts in science, technology, patient partnership and clinical medicine
Personal stories of growth and success
Students and parents from our program share their personal stories of impact