Clinical Science, Technology and Medicine
Summer Internships 2022
Compassionate careers, inspiring mentorship, clinical and technology skills
Applications are now open for Summer 2022. Please click below for our application guide. It contains helpful information about our programs and how to apply.
An inspirational summer internships 2022
Explore careers in clinical sciences and technology
Are you a high school or college student with a passion for health care?
Tailored for career success
Our two-week medical internships for high school students and pre-med undergraduate students seeking careers in clinical medicine, STEM, biomedical research, and the application of technology in medicine.
Are you curious about clinical sciences, health care technology, or research?
Guided by leading Stanford faculty
We focus on clinical medicine at the intersection of science and technology. We provide hands-on experience with clinical skills such as suturing, splinting, and intubation. Students receive mentorship from Stanford medical students and faculty to cultivate career development.
Empowered with skills and experience
As technology continues to transform the way we navigate our medical system, it is imperative to equip students with necessary health care technology skills to anticipate future challenges with thought, inclusivity, and professionalism.
Larry Chu, MD
Professor, Stanford University School of Medicine
Bassam Kadry, MD
Associate Program Director, Leadership, Clinical Associate Professor, Stanford University School of Medicine
Sachin Mittal, MD
Assistant Program Director, Clinical Skills, Clinical Assistant Professor, Stanford University School of Medicine
Amy Price, DPhil (Oxon)
Senior Research Scientist
"The program offers many opportunities to connect with professionals and ePatients with exposure and expertise not only in anesthesiology, but in global health, biotechnology, and other areas. Students can find mentors that can invaluably inform their career choices, offer unique opportunities and insight in the medical industry, and career building advice beyond high school and undergraduate studies."
~Rafael Ricon, 2018 Graduate with Distinction
An immersive Stanford learning experience
Unique hands-on experiences at the Stanford School of Medicine
A GLIMPSE OF SOME OF THE HANDS-ON EXPERIENCES WE PROVIDE:
- Perform intubations and IV placements in a state-of the-art simulation lab.
- Master airway anatomy using high-fidelity simulators and virtual reality.
- Observe anesthesiologists providing patient care in a clinical setting.
- Collaborate in a team environment to address a simulated airway emergency.
HOSTED ON THE STANFORD CAMPUS:
- Simulation sessions held at Stanford's Center for Immersive and Simulation-based Learning & Veterans Health Administration Simulation Center.
- Daily educational sessions - didactics led by Anesthesia experts, problem-based-learning exercises, medical career workshops, design charettes, medical education media creation, and more.
- Tour Stanford facilities housing the latest innovations in health care, including 3D bioprinters and robotic surgical systems.
A Note On COVID-19: Stanford University School of Medicine has placed a hold on in-person training for summer programs as of Winter Quarter 2020 due to the global COVID-19 pandemic. Our program dates for 2022 are virtual and we also offer an in-person session in June (provisional, pending approval by the ReSTART committee).
Stanford Clinical Science, Technology and Medicine Summer Internship
A curriculum grounded in the clinical sciences
A rigorous two-week program led by Stanford faculty
Our two-week medical internships for high school students and premedical students begins with a broad overview of health care, framed within the perspective of anesthesiology, perioperative and pain medicine. In the first week our students receive an introduction to the principles of the health care system, patient-centered care, and physiology of major organ systems. Concepts of technology, particularly digital health and emerging technologies and their potential application to meet gaps in the health care system are also introduced.
Students also begin working on capstone projects with teams, in co-production with Medicine X ePatient mentors. In the second week, our students apply their foundational learnings to clinical medical practice through BLS certification training, and immersive learning sessions in obstetric anesthesia, regional anesthesia, simulation and crisis management in medicine. The program concludes with a formal presentation of capstone projects to a panel of esteemed scholars.
The Advanced Clinical Experience Internship
An advanced skill-building internship for past program participants*
Our one-week advanced clinical skills practice medical internships for high school students and premedical students is designed to allow motivated participants to explore future careers in health care through continued exposure to intensive and rigorous skill practice. Program participants in our advanced clinical skills practice internship will have the opportunity to practice airway management skills they learned in the Clinical Science, Technology and Medicine Summer Internship. Scaffolding on this knowledge, they will acquire skills in advanced airway techniques such as video-assisted laryngoscopy, and fiberoptic intubation practice.
Program participants will also gain skills in vascular access including intravenous access and arterial line placement. Grounding these skills will be foundational lectures in pharmacology and physiology related to perioperative medicine, and physical examination skills sessions and case discussions mentored by Stanford Medicine X ePatients and Stanford clinical faculty. *This internship will not involve clinical care or hospital patient contact other than observership by program participants. A prerequisite for this program is successful completion of the Clinical Science, Technology and Medicine Summer Internship.
Important Dates for Summer Internships 2022
- PROGRAM DATES
- Applications Open: Dec 6th, 2021
- Session 1: June 13-24th, 2022 (on campus*)
- Session 2: July 25-Aug 5th, 2022 (virtual)
- Advanced Clinical Skills Internship: July 11-15th, 2022 (on campus)+
- *pending approval from Stanford ReSTART committee +Prerequisite: Successful completion of Clinical Science, Technology and Medicine Summer Internship
- EARLY DECISION
- Early Decision Deadline (I): Jan 6th, 2022
- Early Decision Deadline (II): January 27th, 2022
- On Campus Housing Deadline (I): Jan 6th, 2022
- On Campus Housing Deadline (II): January 27th, 2022
- Early Decision (I) Notification of Acceptance Status: Jan 21st, 2022
- Early Decision (I) Deposit Due: February 4th, 2022
- Early Decision (I) Tuition and Forms Due: Mar 14th, 2022
- Early Decision (II) Notification of Acceptance Status: Feb 14th, 2022
- Early Decision (II) Deposit Due: March 1st, 2022
- Early Decision (II) Tuition and Forms Due: Mar 14th, 2022
- STANDARD DECISION
- Standard Application Deadline: Jan 28th, 2022
- On Campus Housing Deadline: Jan 28th, 2022
- Standard Notification of Acceptance Status: March 1st, 2022
- Standard Decision Deposit Due: March 15th, 2022
- Standard Decision Tuition and Forms Due: April 1st, 2022
Highlights and snapshots from our past summer sessions
Diverse faculty expertise* 2022 Faculty will be announced soon
Leading experts in science, technology, patient partnership and clinical medicine
Personal stories of growth and success
Students and parents from our program share their personal stories of impact