4.13: Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) Requirement
Certification in Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) is a requirement for graduation. Students may register for ACLS in the first or second clinical year. ACLS training courses are offered through Stanford Health Care Center for Education & Professional Development (CEPD). When the training is completed, students receive a certification card valid for two years. Please note that students must have a current Basic Life Support (BLS) certification card in order to enroll and participate in ACLS.
Students must register for an ACLS training course both through Stanford Health Care CEPD and through Axess (MED 295).
- The 2023-24 dates are:
- November 3, 2023 (Fri) - Autumn Quarter
- February 15, 2024 (Thur) – Winter Quarter
- March 6, 2024 (Wed) – Winter Quarter
- March 27, 2024 (Wed) – Winter Quarter
- April 9, 2024 (Tues)- Spring Quarter
ACLS is an AHA blended learning course, which includes a combination of the eLearning HeartCode® online course followed by the hands-on skills session with an AHA instructor at the training center. All courses are taught according to the new 2020 American Heart Association (AHA) guidelines. The date you register for is the date you will attend your in-person skills assessment. You will sign up for a specific time and the course link will be sent to you. An in-person skills session will be required. The online course must be completed and the completion certificate printed and brought to the skills session.
It is recommended that you schedule ACLS so that if possible, you do not miss a required clerkship day. If you will be enrolled in a clerkship during the time of your assigned ACLS date, please notify your clerkship directors in advance of your scheduled date.
Registration is a 2 part process:
1. Stanford CEPD: Registration is available through Stanford CEPD.
- A coupon code is required to register. Refer to email from the School of Medicine Registrar’s Office or contact firstname.lastname@example.org for a code.
- There are 5 ACLS hands-on skills check sessions offered at each date.
- Each session is 60 minutes.
- Registration is available on a first-come first-serve basis.
- Once a class is full, it no longer accepts registrations and there is no wait list.
- If you are unable to make your scheduled class, submit a Cancellation Request Form to CEPD as soon as possible .
2. Axess: Enroll through Axess for MED295 for the quarter that corresponds with the session (once enrollment opens for that quarter). If you will be on a Leave of Absence or Graduation Quarter status during your ACLS class, enroll in Axess in your last quarter of course/clerkship enrollment (and a grade will be entered upon completion of ACLS).
updated August 2023