About the Program
The Stanford Medical Youth Science Program (SMYSP) is an academic enrichment program for students from low-income, underrepresented backgrounds. Over five weeks, participants engage in faculty lectures, professional development workshops, Stanford Medicine networking events, and a public health disparities research project. During the program and beyond, participants are mentored by faculty, health professionals, and college students on preparing for college, navigating careers in medicine, and becoming a leader today.
SMYSP Program Details
Our 2023 program will be held on the Stanford campus from June 23 to July 28, 2023. SMYSP is a full-time weekly summer program. Students will be expected to travel to Stanford’s main campus Monday through Friday for the duration of the program. Our team of dedicated program staff, including program counselors and instructors, will work together to create a supportive, enriching, and exciting summer experience with SMYSP. Our counselors will plan a variety of fun team building exercises throughout the week.
What to Expect
Students will divide their time between the following activities:
The Admissions Process
Summer 2023 Admissions:
Applications for the Summer 2023 program will open from Dec. 15, 2022 - March 15, 2023
- The SMYSP application deadline was March 15, 2023 and applications are now closed. Applications will be reviewed by our admissions team and each application is evaluated holistically. We expect to deliver admissions decisions by early May. When your admissions decision is ready, you will receive an email notification. Decisions are final and cannot be appealed.
- SMYSP will review all applications and invite up to 60 finalists to interview. Interviews will be held late April through early May and final admissions decisions will be sent no later than Mid-May 2023.
- A Note About Email:
- Email is our primary mode of communication and each applicant will receive a confirmation email from us after their application is received and processed. If SMYSP has any questions about your application, or if there is something missing, an email will be sent asking that the applicant contact us to resolve the situation. Please be sure to check your email regularly and respond to us when needed.
Program Overview / Questions
- What is the weekly time commitment?
SMYSP is a full-time summer program. Participants will be expected to travel to campus up to five days a week, specific daily hours will be available in Spring 2023.
- Is this program in-person?
For Summer 2023, the program will be offered in-person, with the option of some remote work.
- How many students will be admitted to the program?
For Summer 2023, we are expecting around 24 students.
- Is there a cost to attend SMYSP?
There is no cost for students to participate in this program.
- Does SMYSP offer a stipend?
Yes! Admitted students will receive a $1250 clinical research stipend.
- Do I have to attend all 5 weeks?
Students are required to participate in all 5 weeks of the program and are required to attend the orientation on the first day and all safety sessions. Students will spend approximately 30-40 hours/week in the program Monday through Friday.
Housing and transportation are not provided by the program and participants are required to live with a family member/legal adult guardian during the program.
- COVID-19 Guidance
All students must be vaccinated for COVID-19 and may be required to follow masking and testing requirements. More concrete information will be provided when the accepted students are announced. There is a chance the program could be held virtually if the University does not allow in-person programs depending on the conditions at the time in the spring/summer of 2023. View Stanford COVID-19 Health Alerts