The Stanford Medicine Department of Graduate Medical Education supports 27 ACGME-accredited residency training programs, and 90+ fellowships, and is dedicated to pursuing the highest quality of patient care and graduate medical education to develop future leaders in medicine.
Our office participates in diversifying these programs through:
- Attendance at minority medical association conferences: LMSA, SNMA, & more
- Collaboration with the Office of Medical Student Affairs on funded visiting clerkships for students underrepresented in medicine: SCORE Program
- GME-wide diversity recruitment receptions for GME applicants facilitated by our GME Diversity Committee Leadership Team
- Presentations and recommendations for GME programs on providing holistic review of applicants and best practices for inclusive recruitment
SCORE: Stanford Clinical Opportunity for Residency Experience Program
Black Resident Spotlight
We aim to support and uplift our incredible community of Black Housestaff. Please enjoy a glimpse into their unique experiences here at Stanford. #RepresentationMatters #DiversityInMedicine #WhatADoctorLooksLike #StanfordMed
Every two weeks of our Black Spotlight Campaign, we will feature a different member of medical residency programs.
Anthony Sawyer - Anesthesiology
How have you been supported at Stanford?
What message do you have for Black applicants?
- Exceptional clinical training with regional and national expertise and across various sites (Stanford Health Care, Lucile Packard Children’s Hospital, VA, Santa Clara Valley Medical Center, community sites, and more)
- Diverse patient populations: Santa Clara County is the most ethnically diverse county in California
- Recognized leaders in research and innovation with exceptional scholarship opportunities
- Phenomenal mentorship and collaboration with passionate faculty
- Outstanding track record of trainee success in fellowships, academic positions, and practice
- Connection to larger Stanford University community and resources
- Bay Area life!
MD/GME Recruitment Steering Committee
The MD/GME Recruitment Steering Committee aims to bring together individuals and offices that conduct diverse recruitment for medical students and GME trainees to discuss practices that can be shared and scaled to work together to improve recruitment through conferences. The committee, formed in fall 2018, brings together individuals and offices that conduct diverse recruitment to discuss practices and collaborate to better streamline efforts, including attendance at LMSA, SNMA, and other minority medical conferences. Members on the committee represent the Office of Diversity in Medical Education, Office of Medical Student Affairs, the Department of Graduate Medical Education, the Office of Medical Student Admissions, the Office of Faculty Development and Diversity, and clinical departments across Stanford Medicine.