LockDown Browser for Course Staff
What Is LockDown Browser?
LockDown Browser by Respondus (LDB) is the school's secure online testing tool. This secure browser is used during online, in-classroom tests to prevent digital cheating—students will be unable to print, copy, or go to another website until the exam is submitted for grading. Instructors can easily set up exams for LockDown Browser within Canvas.
LockDown Browser is a required install for students upon starting classes at Stanford Medicine. Occasionally LockDown Browser requires an update, which are installed automatically upon launch. EdTech will work with you to create a LDB Verification Quiz in your course prior to your exam, and EdTech staff are always present to support online exams. Students should be advised to take this quiz prior to their exam to prompt any required updates and ensure that LDB is working on their machines.
LockDown Browser Features:
- Displays assessments in full-screen which cannot be minimized or closed until after submission
- Prevents access to other applications including messaging, screen-sharing, virtual machines, and network monitoring applications
- Can be enabled for specific web pages, and various desktop applications such as calculators (email us for help)
- Disables print, print screen, and screen shot functions
- Prevents copying and pasting anything to or from an assessment
- Disables right-click menu options, function keys, keyboard shortcuts, and task switching
- Removes browser menu and toolbar options, except for Back, Forward, Refresh, and Stop
- Bars access to the assessment from other browsers
- Localized for multiple languages, including English, Spanish, French, German, Italian, and Portuguese
- Supports screen readers and accessibility programs
Respondus offers free LockDown Browser webinars for faculty who would like to learn more
To Use LockDown Browser
If you would like to use LockDown Browser:
- In Canvas, select the "Require LockDown Browser..." setting for the quiz in question (see "Preparing a Quiz" on this help document)
- Email EdTech that you will be using LockDown Browser so that they can provide your course with an LDB Verification Quiz
- Instruct your students to take the LDB Verification Quiz prior to their exam
- Instruct your students to use LockDown Browser to take their exam. Here is a template you can customize for your exam in LDB