A course for beginner Principal Investigators who are new to Stanford and are in their first term of appointment, who will be/are leading basic or translational research groups. The course combines didactic overview of topics relevant to starting up a research lab, and hands-on workshops on necessary skills.
Appropriate Treatment of Research Trainees
Guiding document created by the GREAT AToRT subcommittee of Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC); October 2021
The following workshops will be offered starting September 2022 through May 2023. All sessions will be held from 12pm-1:15pm except for those noted below. The zoom link will be sent to the course participants directly.
- From the Ground Up: Building a Research Group Speaker: John Boothroyd, Burt and Marion Avery Professor of Immunology Tuesday, September 13, 2022
- Lab Management 101 Speakers: John Sunwoo, Associate Dean for Academic Affairs and Professor of Otolaryngology - Head & Neck; Lisa Giocomo, Associate Professor of Neurobiology Thursday, October 13, 2022
- Grant Preparation, Submission and Administration Speakers: Ruth O’Hara, Senior Associate Dean, Research and Lowell W. and Josephine Q. Berry Professor, Director, Spectrum; Kathleen Thompson, Executive Director, RMG, School of Medicine - Research Management Group Thursday, November 17, 2022
- Financial Administration Speaker: Allen Metzenberg, Associate Dean and Chief Financial Officer, School of Medicine Monday, December 12, 2022
- Getting Mentored as Faculty at Stanford Speakers: Jim Brooks , Keith and Jan Hurlbut Professor (Urology); Mary Leonard, Arline and Pete Marman Professor and Professor of Medicine (Nephraology) and, by courtesy, of Epidemiology and Population Health Wednesday, January, 11, 2023 (5:00pm-6:00pm)
- Balancing and Growing Research Portfolio alongside Clinical Duties Speakers: Tanja Gruber, Chambers Family Endowed Professor for Pediatrics Cancer; Jim Lock, Eric Rothenberg, MD Professor and Professor, by courtesy, of Pediatrics; Michael Lim, Professor of Neurosurgery and, by courtesy, of Radiation Oncology (Radiation Therapy), of Medicine (Oncology), of Otolaryngology - Head & Neck Surgery (OHNS) and of Neurology Monday, January 23, 2023 (5:00pm-6:00pm)
- The Research Enterprise: Collaborations, Building Visibility and Tips for Success Speakers: Leanne Williams, Vincent V.C Woo Professor, Professor of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences (Major Laboratories and Clinical Translational Neurosciences Incubator) and, by couresy, of Psychology; Melissa Bondy, Stanford Medicine Discovery Professor and Professor of Epidemiology and Population Health Tuesday, February 28, 2023 (5:00pm-6:00pm)
- Equity and Inclusive Practices and Resources Speakers: Alyce Adams, Stanford Medicine Innovation Professor and Professor of Epidemiology and Population Health, of Health Policy and, by courtesy, of Pediatrics (Endocrinology); David Rehkopf, Associate Professor of Epidemiology and Population Health, of Medicine (Primary Care and Population Health) and, by courtesy, of Sociology Wednesday, March 8, 2023 (5:00pm-6:00pm)
- The IDP Process for Trainees: Tips to Motivate Trainees for Growth Speakers: Sheri Krams, Senior Associate Dean, Graduate Education and Postdoctoral Affairs and Professor of Surgery (Abdominal Transplantation); Sofie Kleppner, Associate Vice Provost and Associate Dean for Postdoctoral Affairs; Stevie Eberle, Assistant Dean and Executive Director, BioSci Careers Monday, April 17, 2023
- 360 Evaluation (Stanford Investigators and Lab Leadership Competencies) Speakers: Linda Boxer, Vice Dean of the School of Medicine and Stanley McCormick Memorial Professor Thursday, May 18, 2023
These workshops, and other OAA professional development offerings, map to the competencies that are evaluated in the 360 Evaluation process for assistant professors who lead research groups. Check the Competency Mapping Here.