A course for beginner Principal Investigators who are new to Stanford and are in their first term of appointment, who lead research group in basic or clinical departments. The course combines didactic overview of topics relevant to starting up a research lab, and hands-on workshops on necessary skills.
Past SURGE Sessions
The following workshops will be offered starting September 2021 through May 2022. All sessions will be held from 12p-1p. Sessions in Fall Quarter will be held via zoom. The zoom link will be sent to the course participants directly.
- From the Ground Up: Building a Research Group Speakers: Dan Jarosz, Associate Professor of Chemical and Systems Biology and of Developmental Biology; John Boothroyd, Burt and Marion Avery Professor of Immunology Tuesday, September 21
- Lab Management 101 Speakers: John Sunwoo, Associate Dean for Academic Affairs and Professor of Otolaryngology - Head & Neck ; Lisa Giocomo, Associate Professor of Neurobiology Friday, October 15
- Getting the Word Out: Recruiting Speakers: John Boothroyd, Burt and Marion Avery Professor of Immunology online module
- Behavioral Interviewing Speakers: Rania Sanford, Director of Faculty Professional Development Thursday, November 18
- Getting Mentored as Faculty at Stanford Speakers: Ami Bhatt, Associate Professor of Medicine (Hematology) and of Genetics ; Gerry Grant, Associate Dean for Academic Affairs and Professor of Neurosurgery Friday, December 17
- Leading Oneself: What Does Success Look Like Speakers: Michelle Monje, Associate Professor of Neurology and, by courtesy, of Neurosurgery, of Pediatrics, of Pathology and of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences Wednesday, January 5
- The Research Enterprise: Collaborations, Building Visibility and Tips for Success Speakers: Ravi Majeti, RZ Cao Professor; Lisa Goldman Rosas, Assistant Professor (Research) of Epidemiology and Population Health and of Medicine (Primary Care and Population Health); and Carolyn Rodriguez, Associate Professor of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences (Public Mental Health and Population Sciences Monday, January 24
- Grant Preparation, Submission and Administration Speakers: Ruth O’Hara, Director, Spectrum, Senior Associate Dean, Research and Lowell W. and Josephine Q. Berry Professor; Kathleen Thompson, Executive Director, RMG Monday, February 28
- Equity and Inclusive Practices and Resources Speakers: Laraine Zappert, Director, Sexual Harassment Policy Office; Jim Laflin, Ombudsperson; Terrance Mayes, Associate Dean for Equity and Strategic Initiatives Thursday, March 31
- The IDP Process for Trainees: Tips to Motivate Trainees for Growth Speakers: Sheri Krams, Senior Associate Dean, Graduate Education and Postdoctoral Affairs and Professor of Surgery (Abdominal Transplantation); Sofie Kleppner, Associate Vice Provost and Associate Dean for Postdoctoral Affairs; Stephanie Eberle, Assistant Dean and Executive Director, BioSci Careers Wednesday, April 27
- 360 Evaluation (Stanford Investigators and Lab Leadership Competencies) Speakers: Linda Boxer, Vice Dean of the School of Medicine and Stanley McCormick Memorial Professor Monday, May 23