Make A Gift
We are honored that you are interested in supporting Stanford through the Division of General Pediatrics in the Department of Pediatrics.
Fernando Mendoza Health Equity Research and Opportunity (HERO) Award
As a Stanford HERO, Dr. Fernando Mendoza began his career at Stanford School of Medicine as Associate Dean for Minority Advising nearly 40 years ago soon after his residency. He later co-founded Stanford’s Center of Excellence, which has led the way nationally in increasing diversity in health professions.
As a community HERO, starting in the 1970s, Dr. Mendoza helped found the Gardner Health Center, which has grown its mission from serving immediate health needs mainly migrant farm workers to providing comprehensive primary care for more than 40,000 underinsured individuals through seven sites throughout the Bay Area – including our own pediatric continuity clinic. He also served as co-chair of the Children’s Agenda, which guides Santa Clara County priorities to advance child health and well being.
As a national and international HERO, Dr. Mendoza helped build the foundation of national scientific attention to health equity and the health of immigrant families, through leadership in the American Academy of Pediatrics, the National Institutes of Health, the Institute of Medicine, the Pan American Health Foundation, and as a clinician scientist – authoring and co-authoring of many of the peer-reviewed publications that have highlighted the opportunities for better care, better advocacy, and better public policy to improve the well-being of all children and those who care for them.
The Fernando Mendoza Health Equity Research and Opportunity (HERO) Award will be granted annually to a Stanford trainee (medical student, resident or fellow) who exemplifies Dr. Mendoza’s lifelong commitment to advancing health equity, diversity and inclusion.
How to make a donation
- In the box that reads "Special Instructions/Other Designations", enter "Fernando Mendoza Health Equity Research and Opportunity (HERO)".
- Enter the amount of money you wish to donate.
- OPTIONAL: Select how you would like to give this gift indicated under “Options”:
- You can give this gift with someone else (i.e., partner, spouse, family member).
- You can make this gift in honor of Dr. Fernando Mendoza (You will be asked to fill out additional information about him).
- You can remain anonymous if you’d like.
- Continue as a guest or sign into your Stanford account if you have one (You can create a new account as well).
- If you have a Stanford account, it will automatically fill in your name and address information in the next step of making your gift.
- If you continue as a guest, it will ask you to fill in information about yourself (i.e., name and address) as well as your payment information.
- Review the information and submit your donation.
Mail the check to:
P.O. Box 20466
Stanford, CA 94309-0466
- Make the check payable to “Stanford University”.
- Note on the memo line of the check or include an additional note "Fernando Mendoza HERO Award".
Wire Transfer or Stock Transfer Instructions
Please email GenPeds_Stanford@stanford.edu for more information.