What is Gynecomastia surgery?
Gynecomastia surgery, or male breast reduction surgery (reduction mammaplasty) is a procedure that aims to correct enlarged male breasts. Sometimes, the gynecomastia is severe enough to result in a drooping breast envelope and a breast lift may also be required.
Am I a good candidate for Gynecomastia surgery?
Gynecomastia usually develops due to an imbalance of estrogen and testosterone ratios. This imbalance can be caused by certain recreational drugs and prescription medications. Regardless of the cause, excess breast tissue in males is often an embarrassing physical appearance and is associated with poor self-esteem.
Male breast reduction surgery has a very high satisfaction rate and has been shown to improve patients’ quality of life.
Suction assisted liposuction is performed through a thin metal cannula. This technique results in small discrete scars from where the cannula was inserted. This technique is ideal for breasts that contain mild to moderate excess fatty tissue versus glandular tissue, without excess skin laxity.
Direct excision of excess breast tissue and skin is performed. The incisional scar varies and will be clarified by your plastic surgeon prior to your operation. This technique is ideal for moderate to severe gynecomastia, and/or excess skin laxity where excision of skin and repositioning of the nipple-areolar-complex is required.
This technique combines the two aforementioned techniques.
- Pain is minimal to moderate. Pain is well controlled with prescription and over the counter medications.
- Your surgeon may opt to use drains, typically these can stay in for 1-2 weeks, removal is performed in clinic.
- No sexual activity or participation in any type of physical activity that may cause tension or friction on your healing incisions for 2 weeks.
- You may return to work 5-7 days (desk job) after surgery. This depends on your comfort level and the type of surgery performed.
- Wear a compression vest for 6 weeks to improve swelling and contour.
- You may start light physical activity 2 weeks later and gradually increase as tolerated.