Melody Zhang, MD, has been appointed as the next chair of the Biochemical and Molecular Genetics Committee by the Board of College of American Pathologists (CAP)/American College of Medical Genetics and Genomics (ACMG).
Stanford Pathology in the News, September 27, 2023
Stanford Pathology is proud to announce that Melody Zhang, MD, was nominated as the next chair for CAP (College of American Pathologists)/ACMG (American College of Medical Genetics and Genomics) Biochemical and Molecular Genetics Committee was approved by the CAP board. The chair role is a 4-year term and will be effective on 1/1/2024.
The Biochemical and Molecular Genetics Committee is within the Molecular Pathology & Genomics Cluster and reports to the CAP Council on Scientific Affairs. This committee is charged with the following main responsibilities:
- Functions as the primary source of biochemical genetics, molecular genetics, maternal screening and (in conjunction with a cross-committee work group) pharmacogenetics expertise and perspective for heritable conditions within the CAP
- Develops, maintains, evaluates and enhances proficiency testing programs in biochemical genetics, molecular genetics, maternal screening and pharmacogenetics to reflect the state of the art in both biochemical and molecular genetics
- Advises, supports, and functions as a resource to other CAP committees and Councils when heritable conditions impact their primary area of focus
- Develops interfaces with outside agencies and organizations committed to defining and maintaining excellence in biochemical genetics, molecular genetics, maternal screening and pharmacogenetics
- Contributes to the continuing education of the members of the CAP through Surveys, critiques, publications, and participation in CAP education programs
For more information about the committee please go to: https://www.cap.org/member-resources/councils-committees/cap-acmg-biochemical-and-molecular-genetics-committee/.
The CAP committee chair role has primary responsibility for focusing the committee’s work to fulfill its charge and achieve its objectives in accord with the CAP’s enterprise strategy and policies; facilitating discussion to guide the committee to consensus on decisions; assigning committee work to members and staff; monitoring completion of work; and ensuring the communication of needs and recommendations to the Council or Board of Governors (as appropriate).