Program Application & Admission Requirements
Before applying, please visit and review general admissions information from the following websites:
- Stanford Graduate Admissions: https://gradadmissions.stanford.edu/, and
- Biosciences Office of Graduate Education (OGE): https://biosciences.stanford.edu/prospective-students/
Deadline for application submission: Tuesday, December 3, 2019 (11:59:59 pm PST). All applications must be submitted by this deadline through the Stanford Graduate Admissions Apply webpage.
Home Program Select
Applicants can choose up to three home programs, and should apply to the Biophysics home program as described on the Biosciences How To Apply web page.
Candidates who are selected to visit Stanford and interview will be notified in January. The selected applicants will be invited to the Biosciences Interview Session, March 4 - March 8, 2020 (Wednesday - Sunday). This is our only interview session.
- Submission of Graduate Record Examination (GRE) General test scores are not allowed, and Subject test scores (in Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, or Physics) are optional. For applicants interested in taking the subject test, use Stanford's Institution Code 4704.
- All Recommendations Letters must be submitted using the online application system. Three letters of recommendation are required. As part of the online application, you will be required to register the names and contact information, including e-mail addresses, of your recommenders. Recommenders will then receive an e-mail with directions on how to proceed. Letters of recommendation cannot be emailed or faxed.
- The Application Fees is $125.00 for all applicants. Acceptable form of payment is by credit/debit card (Visa or MasterCard only.) Stanford University does not accept electronic check payments or checks by mail. The application fee is non-refundable and must be received by the application deadline. Applicants with eligibility may consider applying for a fee waiver, which must be submitted 10 business days (two weeks) prior to the application deadline
- Scanned copies of Transcripts from every postsecondary institution the applicant has attended for at least one academic year as a full-time student, must be uploaded into their application for completion. Once an applicant is invited on campus for interviews, the invitees must arrange to have two Official Transcripts sent to the Biosciences Admissions Office. NOTE: An official transcript is one that is issued directly from the institution that bears the seal/signature representing its validity. For more information, please visit the Graduate Admissions Transcripts page.
- More information on Course Requirements can be found here.
Checking Application Status
To check the status/activity of your application materials, please log into your application account. There you will find the most current status of all your application materials. You will also be able to send reminders to those recommenders who have not yet submitted their letter of recommendation.
Decisions & Notifications
The Admissions Committees will start to review applicant files a few days following the application deadline. It is important that all of your application materials are submitted by the deadline. During the week of January 6, 2020, the committees will start to contact those applicants who have been selected for an interview. The selected applicants will be invited to interview at the program's expense. Highly qualified applicants residing in other countries and for whom a visit would not be possible may be selected for a telephone interview.
For more information, visit: https://biosciences.stanford.edu/prospective-students/how-to-apply/
The selection of PhD students admitted to the Program of Biophysics is based on an individualized, holistic review of each application, including (but not limited to) the applicant’s academic record, the letters of recommendation, the statement of purpose, personal qualities and characteristics, and past accomplishments.
Biosciences Ph.D. Admissions
1265 Welch Road, MSOB X100
Stanford, CA 94305-5421
Phone: (650) 723-2460
Please note that Winter Closure will be Monday, December 23, 2019, through Friday, January 3, 2020.