Program Application & Admission Requirements
Before applying, please visit and review general admissions information from the following websites:
- Stanford Graduate Admissions: https://gradadmissions.stanford.edu/, and
- Biosciences Office of Graduate Education (OGE): https://biosciences.stanford.edu/prospective-students/
COVID-19 Impact and Admissions Statement
In light of the current situation with the COVID-19 pandemic, Stanford reaffirms its commitment to perform individualized, holistic review of each applicant to its graduate and professional programs. We recognize that students may have faced significant challenges during the period of disruption caused by the pandemic, and we will take such individual circumstances into account during application review. Importantly, we will respect decisions regarding the adoption of Credit/No Credit and other grading options during this unprecedented period of COVID-19 disruption, whether they are made by institutions or by individual students. Our goal remains to form graduate student cohorts that are excellent and encompass a diversity of perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences that enrich the graduate educational experience.
Deadline for application submission: Tuesday, December 1, 2020 (11:59:59 pm PST). All applications must be submitted by this deadline through the Stanford Graduate Admissions Apply webpage. Late applications will not be accepted.
Home Program Select
Applicants can choose up to three home programs, and should apply to the Biophysics home program as described on the Biosciences How To Apply web page.
Candidates who are selected for an interview will be notified in early January 2021. The selected applicants will be invited to interview via Zoom. Our interview dates are currently set for early March, final dates TBA. This is our only interview session.
In general, if an applicant has not heard about a possible invitation by late January, it is unlikely that they will be invited to Stanford or admitted. Applicants who are not selected for an interview will receive a letter that states that no further action will be taken on their application.
- Submission of Graduate Record Examination (GRE) General test scores are not required. The Subject Test (in Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, or Physics) are optional. For applicants interested in taking the subject test, use Stanford's Institution Code 4704.
- All Recommendations Letters must be submitted using the online application system. Three letters of recommendation are required. As part of the online application, you will be required to register the names and contact information, including e-mail addresses, of your recommenders. Recommenders will then receive an e-mail with directions on how to proceed. Letters of recommendation cannot be emailed or faxed.
- Please see TOFEL requirements here.
- The Application Fees is $125.00 for all applicants. Acceptable form of payment is by credit/debit card (Visa or MasterCard only.) Stanford University does not accept electronic check payments or checks by mail. The application fee is non-refundable and must be received by the application deadline. Applicants with eligibility may consider applying for a fee waiver, which must be submitted 10 business days (two weeks) prior to the application deadline
- Scanned copies of Transcripts from every postsecondary institution the applicant has attended for at least one academic year as a full-time student, must be uploaded into their application for completion. Graduate Admissions only requires admitted applicants who accept the offer of admission to submit Official Transcripts that shows their degree conferral. More details on this can be found on the following Graduate Admissions Transcripts webpage. Please do not send or have sent any official transcripts to the Bioscience office.
- More information on Course Requirements can be found here.
Checking Application Status
To check the status/activity of your application materials, please log into your application account. There you will find the most current status of all your application materials. You will also be able to send reminders to those recommenders who have not yet submitted their letter of recommendation.
Decisions & Notifications
The Admissions Committees will start to review applicant files a few days following the application deadline. It is important that all of your application materials are submitted by the deadline. During the week of January 11, 2021, the committees will start to contact those applicants who have been selected for an interview. The selected applicants will be invited to interview at the program's expense. Highly qualified applicants residing in other countries and for whom a visit would not be possible may be selected for a telephone interview.
For more information, visit: https://biosciences.stanford.edu/prospective-students/how-to-apply/
The selection of PhD students admitted to the Program of Biophysics is based on an individualized, holistic review of each application, including (but not limited to) the applicant’s academic record, the letters of recommendation, the statement of purpose, personal qualities and characteristics, and past accomplishments.
Temporary Mailing Address
Biosciences PhD Admissions
3165 Porter Drive
Palo Alto, CA 94304-5261
Phone: (650) 723-2460
(Office Temporarily Closed)
Biosciences Ph.D. Admissions
1265 Welch Road, MSOB X100
Stanford, CA 94305-5421
Please note that Winter Closure will be December 14, 2020 - January 4, 2021.