Program Application & Admission Requirements for Autumn 2024
Biophysics Program at Stanford is one of the 14 Stanford Biosciences PhD programs, the program accepts applications once per year for the Autumn quarter entry. Before applying, please visit and review general admissions information from the following websites:
- Stanford Graduate Admissions: https://gradadmissions.stanford.edu/
- Explore Graduate Programs: https://applygrad.stanford.edu/portal/programs
- Biosciences PhD Admissions Office: https://biosciences.stanford.edu/
Deadline for application submission: Tuesday, December 5, 2023 (11:59:59 pm PST). All applications must be submitted by this deadline through the Stanford Graduate Admissions Apply webpage. Late applications will not be accepted.
Home Program Selection
Applicants can choose up to two home programs, and should apply to the Biophysics home program as described on the Biosciences How To Apply web page.
Wednesday - Sunday, March 6 - 10, 2024
The committee will begin contacting applicants who have been selected for an interview early January. The selected applicants will be invited to an in-person interview session visit. In general, if an applicant has not heard about a possible invitation by mid-February, it is unlikely that they will be invited to Stanford.
- Submission of Graduate Record Examination (GRE) General test scores are not considered. The Subject Test in Physics is optional. For applicants interested in taking the subject test, use Stanford's Institution Code 4704.
- All Recommendations Letters must be submitted using the online application system. Three letters of recommendation are required. As part of the online application, you will be required to register the names and contact information, including e-mail addresses, of your recommenders. Recommenders will then receive an e-mail with directions on how to proceed. Letters of recommendation cannot be mailed, emailed, faxed, or submitted through a letter service (with the exception of Interfolio). For letters submitted via Interfolio, please remember that letters written specifically for your Stanford graduate program tend to be stronger than letters written for general use purposes.
- Please see TOFEL requirements here.
- The Application Fees is $125.00 for all applicants. Acceptable form of payment is by credit/debit card (Visa or MasterCard only.) Stanford University does not accept electronic check payments or checks by mail. The application fee is non-refundable and must be received by the application deadline. Applicants with eligibility may consider applying for a fee waiver, which must be submitted 10 business days (two weeks) prior to the application deadline
- Scanned copies of Transcripts from every postsecondary institution the applicant has attended for at least one academic year as a full-time student, must be uploaded into their application for completion. Graduate Admissions only requires admitted applicants who accept the offer of admission to submit Official Transcripts that shows their degree conferral. More details on this can be found on the following Graduate Admissions Transcripts webpage. Please do not send or have sent any official transcripts to the Bioscience office.
- More information on Course Requirements can be found here.
Checking Application Status
To check your application status, please go here and click the Visit Your Status Page button at the bottom (the button is only active when the applicaiton period is open).
Decisions & Notifications
The Admissions Committee will start to review applicant files a few days following the application deadline. It is important that all of your application materials are submitted by the deadline. The committee will contact applicants who have been selected for the interview/visit days on campus at the program's expense. Applicants who are not selected for an interview will receive a notification that states no further action will be taken on their application.
For more information, please visit: https://biosciences.stanford.edu/how-to-apply/application-faq/
The Biophysics Program recognizes that the Supreme Court issued a ruling in June 2023 about the consideration of certain types of demographic information as part of an admission review. All applications submitted during upcoming application cycles will be reviewed in conformance with that decision.
The Biophysics Program welcomes graduate applications from individuals with a broad range of life experiences, perspectives, and backgrounds who would contribute to our community of scholars. The review process is holistic and individualized, considering each applicant’s academic record and accomplishments, letters of recommendation, prior research experience, and admissions essays to understand how an applicant’s life experiences have shaped their past and potential contributions to their field and how they might enrich the learning community at Stanford.
Stanford Biophysics Program
Please note that our office will be closed on Thursday, November 23 - Friday, November 24, 2023 for Thanksgiving, and Thursday, December 21, 2023 - Wednesday, January 3, 2024 during Winter Closure.