- referrals to physicians who diagnose and manage PD, and other healthcare professionals (PTs, OTs, SLPs, counselors, etc)
- "Stanford PD Info" emails that include a monthly list of Parkinson's webinars
- "PD caregiver" emails that focus on suggestions, resources, and sympathetic viewpoints that may be of interest to caregivers.
- Parkinson's community blog
- educational seminars around the Bay Area on topics such as cognitive issues in PD, Lewy Body Dementia, caregiver communication, and genetics
- social worker-facilitated PD caregiver-only support groups in Menlo Park, Los Altos, Belmont, and Daly City
Based in New York
Contact: APDA National Office, tollfree phone 800-223-2732
- educational booklets and pamphlets on various topics, such as nutrition, medications to avoid, constipation, and depression. Some publications are in Spanish, Portuguese, German, Italian, Russian, and Chinese. All can be ordered online and will be mailed. Or, many can be downloaded.
- quarterly newsletter with articles by PD experts or PD research updates
- blog posts about three times monthly by movement disorder specialist Rebecca Gilbert, MD, PhD
- jointly operates National Resource Center for Rehabilitation. An exercise helpline allows communication with a licensed physical therapist at Boston University who can answer questions about exercise.
- about 30 Information & Referral Centers around the US
Based in New York
Contact: Michael J. Fox Fundation, tollfree phone 800-708-7644
Based in Miami
Contact: Parkinson's Foundation, tollfree phone 800-473-4636. Note - this is the new name for the merged organizations of the National Parkinson Foundation and the Parkinson's Disease Foundation (which was based in New York).
Based in Portland, OR
Contact: Brian Grant Foundation, phone 503-274-9382
Based in Tucson, AZ
Contact: PMD Alliance, phone 800-256-0966
- offers webinars with a movement disorder specialist the fourth Wed of every month
- offers webinars with speech therapists, physical therapists, or occupational therapists the third Wednesday of each month
- offers weekly video support groups on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays
Last updated August 2020 by Stanford Parkinson's Community Outreach