The Discovery Curriculum
Diversity of Learning Pathways - Only at Stanford
The Discovery Curriculum supports students’ scientific discovery and self-discovery by offering multiple learning pathways only available at Stanford. All pathways assume students will complete their clerkship education in 2 years.
Key Features of Discovery Curriculum
- 2-year and 3-year pre-clerkship options that enable students to complete their MD Program at a more individualized pace
- More opportunities for longitudinal scholarship and pursuing dual degrees
- Improvements to pedagogy and student assessment in courses
- New courses that provide a more robust medical education and training
- Redesigned courses as part of continuous quality improvement efforts
- Continuation of many strong components of the former curriculum
- Maintaining our excellence in clinical training
Competencies/Overall Educational Objectives
Our MD Program Competencies and Educational Objectives serve as a guide for curriculum development and evaluation of the success of the program. We have added a new competency on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion and Social Determinants of Health to highlight our commitment to examining issues of social justice and health equity. We are eager to introduce a number of new curricular initiatives; these will examine issues of systemic racism and other forms of discrimination and how they create health disparities that impact the health of communities.
The Berg Scholars Program
This program (launched in 2018) is designed for medical students who wish to pursue rigorous but shorter, non-MSTP physician investigator careers in laboratory and/or informatics and data science research areas. Up to 6 Berg Scholars will be selected annually for this prestigious 6 year program. Trainees will be partially funded for years 2 and 3, and fully funded for years 4-6. To learn more about the Berg Scholars program, visit the Stanford BWF and BWF PSIA Programs, and our webpage.
MD Program Mission Statement
Our mission is to educate and inspire a diverse group of leaders in medicine and science who will improve human health through discovery, innovation, scholarship, education, and the delivery of outstanding patient-centered care.