Program Application & Admission Requirements
Before applying, please visit and review general admissions information from the following websites:
- Stanford Graduate Admissions: https://gradadmissions.stanford.edu/
- Explore Graduate Programs: https://applygrad.stanford.edu/portal/programs
- Biosciences PhD Admissions Office: https://biosciences.stanford.edu/
Deadline for application submission: Tuesday, November 29, 2022 (11:59:59 pm PST). All applications must be submitted by this deadline through the Stanford Graduate Admissions Apply webpage. Late applications will not be accepted.
Home Program Selection
Applicants can choose up to two home programs, and should apply to the Biophysics home program as described on the Biosciences How To Apply web page.
Interview Session & Admit Visit Date
Virtual Interview Session: Tuesday - Thursday, February 14 - 16, 2023
The committee will begin contacting applicants who have been selected for an interview early January. The selected applicants will be invited to interview virtually, and those admitted will be invited to an in-person visit. In general, if an applicant has not heard about a possible invitation by mid-February, it is unlikely that they will be invited to Stanford.
Visit Day: Thursday - Sunday, March 16 - 19, 2023
After the virtual interview session, those who are admitted will receive a separate invitation by late February for an in-person visit.
- Submission of Graduate Record Examination (GRE) General test scores are not considered. The Subject Test (in Chemistry, Mathematics, or Physics) are optional. For applicants interested in taking the subject test, use Stanford's Institution Code 4704.
- All Recommendations Letters must be submitted using the online application system. Three letters of recommendation are required. As part of the online application, you will be required to register the names and contact information, including e-mail addresses, of your recommenders. Recommenders will then receive an e-mail with directions on how to proceed. Letters of recommendation cannot be emailed or faxed.
- Please see TOFEL requirements here.
- The Application Fees is $125.00 for all applicants. Acceptable form of payment is by credit/debit card (Visa or MasterCard only.) Stanford University does not accept electronic check payments or checks by mail. The application fee is non-refundable and must be received by the application deadline. Applicants with eligibility may consider applying for a fee waiver, which must be submitted 10 business days (two weeks) prior to the application deadline
- Scanned copies of Transcripts from every postsecondary institution the applicant has attended for at least one academic year as a full-time student, must be uploaded into their application for completion. Graduate Admissions only requires admitted applicants who accept the offer of admission to submit Official Transcripts that shows their degree conferral. More details on this can be found on the following Graduate Admissions Transcripts webpage. Please do not send or have sent any official transcripts to the Bioscience office.
- More information on Course Requirements can be found here.
Checking Application Status
To check your application status, please go here and click the Visit Your Status Page button at the bottom (the button is only active when the applicaiton period is open).
Decisions & Notifications
The Admissions Committee will start to review applicant files a few days following the application deadline. It is important that all of your application materials are submitted by the deadline. The committee will contact applicants who have been selected for a virtual interview. The then admitted applicants will be invited to visit campus at the program's expense. Applicants who are not selected for an interview will receive a notification that states no further action will be taken on their application.
For more information, visit: https://biosciences.stanford.edu/prospective-students/how-to-apply/
The selection of PhD students admitted to the Program of Biophysics is based on an individualized, holistic review of each application, including (but not limited to) the applicant’s academic record, the letters of recommendation, the statement of purpose, personal qualities and characteristics, and past accomplishments.
Stanford Biophysics Program
Please note that Winter Closure will be from Wednesday, December 21, 2022 through Tuesday, January 3, 2023, with normal operations resuming on January 4, 2023.