E-cigarettes (including nicotine, non-nicotine, and cannabis) and cigarette-related trash harm the environment where we live and play. What’s the impact? In this lesson, students will understand the harms associated with the disposal of these products and be aware of e-cigarettes and cigarette-related trash in their community. Students will explore the causes and effects that specifically relate to environmental impact, including the effects of human actions.
By hearing and participating in this lesson, students will:
Identify the ways cigarettes and e-cigarettes (including nicotine, non-nicotine, and cannabis) contribute to litter and harm the environment.
Describe the different parts of a cigarette and e-cigarette that are toxic to the environment and why they are harmful.
Explain proper disposal of e-cigarettes and cigarettes that protect the environment.
Develop a health promotion message that addresses the impact of all tobacco products on the environment.
Cigarettes and e-cigarettes are not biodegradable and do harm the environment.
Quitting the use of cigarettes and e-cigarettes or never starting in the first place reduces harm to the environment.
Properly disposing of cigarettes and e-cigarettes help protect the environment.
You can help protect our environment in many ways!
Going smoke or vape-free allows the body to heal right away.
Below are some additional activities that you can do with your students as time allows.
Call to action activities:
- Use the photovoice project as a showcase / gallery
- Write a letter to your representative (CA only) – NOTE: good as a follow-up to photovoice project or standalone assignment
- Organize a Beach or Neighborhood Clean up
- Create your own campaign or partner with others
- TheTruth.com “Take Action” Campaign
- Start a Podcast on issues related to vaping and the environment
- Create a classroom IG on vapes and the environment
- Help a fellow peer to quit vapes
Keep an open environment for students to come and ask questions or circle back to the material.