SB DEI Committee
- Organized the department’s first Town Hall on Racial Justice, Equity and Inclusion (2020)
- Conducted a Structural Biology Climate Survey (2020)
Community Partnerships & Outreach Subcommittee
- Picture a Scientist screening & discussion with the department (2021)
Inclusion & Retention Subcommittee
- Created a bulletin board for department members to share images of themselves traveling, with pets, etc. to create a sense of community.
- Kudoboard subscription for the department to celebrate achievements made by members of the department
- Compiled a comprehensive list of resources for graduate students and postdocs
Internal Oversight Subcommittee
- Created the initial committee organizational structure and a comprehensive manual for future SB DEI committees
- Established of an annual DEI Committee retreat.
- Initiated an ongoing dialogue about how DEI work is recognized and compensated
Messaging & Metrics Subcommittee
- Created the SB DEI Committee section of the department’s website
- Created the SB Scientist of the Month post
- Attended a Virtual Career Fair with invited students from 6 schools in East Palo Alto.
- Sent a letter to Vice Provost, on behalf of postdoctoral scholars, regarding the cost of living relative to the salaries provided.
- Compiled a comprehensive list of resources for faculty to get involved in outreach efforts.
- Petitioned the Office of Graduate Education (OGE) to add a question explicitly inquiring about the applicant’s DEIJ work and/or passions on the Ph.D. program application