Living Beyond Limits
Under the direction of Dr. David Spiegel, the Center on Stress and Health pursues its mission to study interrelationships among the social environment, mind, brain and body to understand how stress and support can influence health.
The research conducted by the members of Dr. Spiegel's faculty and staff has resulted in twelve books and some 400 scientific journal articles and textbook chapters. Dr. Spiegel's books, from which this website draws its theme, are listed and briefly described in the books section.
- A video produced by Stanford University School of Medicine on Dr. Spiegel's research interests and his motivation to improve quality of life for medical patients. More
- Dr. Spiegel is renowned in the field of hypnosis and the use of hypnosis in clinical settings. He appeared on Good Morning America in February 2008. More
- A webcast replay of Dr. Spiegel's June 2008 guest appearance on HealthTalk discussing the topic of "The Healing Power of Hypnotherapy" is available here.
- The August 2009 issue of New Statesman includes commentary from Dr. Spiegel regarding the link between the current economic crisis and depression and suicide. More
- Emotions and Health Care Reform is the topic of Dr. Spiegel's Sept 2009 article in the Huffington Post. More
- Watch Dr. Spiegel's lecture on Mind-Body Interactions (Stanford Mini Medical School, March 16, 2010). More
- Using Hypnosis to Gain More Control Over Your Illness (New York Times, April 15, 2011). More