After a successful 2019, Dean Minor thanks the dedicated and talented Stanford Medicine community and expresses optimism for the new year. This month's newsletter features Dean Minor's annual reading list, the EHR Roundtable Report, and much more.
In November, Stanford Medicine had much to be thankful for as it opened the new Stanford Hospital and an interdisciplinary research hub. See the role that the Stanford Medicine community will play in these facilities and other news in research, education, and patient care.
The State of Stanford Medicine showcased the depth and breadth of Stanford Medicine's transformative work to improve human health. Learn about the event and get the latest news from Stanford Medicine.
Just weeks from the opening of the new Stanford Hospital, thousands of people from the community toured the new facility and enjoyed a street fair. See the first impression that the new hospital left and get the latest news from Stanford Medicine.
This academic year, Stanford Medicine is welcoming one of the most diverse classes of MD, PA, and PhD students in its history. Read about the importance of diversity as well as other significant stories from around the community.
From poring over blueprints to pouring concrete, the 10-year journey to construct the new Stanford Hospital will conclude this fall. Get the latest about the new hospital and other important news from across Stanford Medicine.
In addition to Dean Minor's send-off to Stanford Medicine's latest graduating class, this edition of The Brief highlights how Stanford Medicine is sparking passion for science in teens, saved two young brothers with a stem cell transplant technique, and more.
In his 2019 Commencement address to Stanford University School of Medicine graduates, Dean Lloyd Minor shared the key to a fulfilling career in medicine: Pursuing your passions.
Through the Humanwide project, a diverse cohort of patients saw firsthand the power and promise of Precision Health. Learn more about how Humanwide improved health and get the latest news from around Stanford Medicine in the May edition of The Brief.
Stanford Medicine welcomed GlaxoSmithKline CEO Emma Walmsley for a Dean's Lecture that focused on culture and collaboration. In this newsletter, learn more about Walmsley's leadership as well as the benefits of "iterative innovation," a new drug for people with diabetes, and much more.
Stanford Medicine is unlocking AI's potential in biomedicine, and the launch of the human-centered artificial intelligence initiative will further this progress. Learn more about this and read the latest Stanford Medicine news, including the Apple Heart Study's encouraging results, digital enhancements at the new hospital, and a recap of the Dean's Lecture with Richard Besser.
In the spirit of American Heart Month, Dean Minor reflected on how Stanford Medicine has redefined cardiovascular for both adults and children. He also shares an update on physician wellness, the story of a toddler who successfully battled a rare eye cancer, an emergency physician who completed an arctic ultramarathon, and other Stanford Medicine news.
As the nation commemorated Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Dean Minor reflected on the efforts of the many individuals across Stanford Medicine who have championed diversity and inclusion. Additionally, he highlights a physician-scientist who has risen the ranks while battling multiple sclerosis, the efforts of Stanford Medicine to address physician burnout, and more.
- Updates from Past Deans
- Associate Dean Dan Bernstein
- Associate Dean PJ Utz
- Associate Dean Dan Bernstein
- Daryl A. Oakes, MD, Named Associate Dean for Continuing Medical Education
- Mark Cullen, MD, Named Sr. Associate Vice Provost for the Office of the Vice Provost and Dean of Research
- Ronald Dalman, MD, Named Associate Dean for Market Development
- Stanford Medicine Health Trends
- Kevin B. Moody, Named Associate Dean for Human Resources
- Susan Knox, MD, PhD, Named Associate Dean for Academic Advising
- Melissa Bondy, PhD, Named Chair of the Department of Epidemiology and Population Health
- Yasmin Owusu, MD, Named Assistant Dean for Academic Advising
- Tanja Gruber, MD, PhD, Named Director of Bass Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders
- Lahia Yemane, MD, Named Inaugural Assistant Dean for Diversity in Graduate Medical Education
- Brian Bateman, MD, Named Chair of the Department of Anesthesiology, Perioperative and Pain Medicine
- Felipe Perez, MD, Named Inaugural Assistant Dean for Diversity in Undergraduate Medical Education
- Josh Makower, MD, Named Director of the Stanford Byers Center for Biodesign
- Doug Owens, MD, Named Inaugural Chair of the Department of Health Policy
- Interim Appointments for Stanford Cancer Center
- Bryant Lin, MD, Named Director of Medical Humanities and Arts