In the final Brief issue of 2016, I reflect on the successes that have capped off an amazing year— including the successful surgery separating conjoined twins at Lucile Packard Children’s Hospital Stanford and the Breakthrough Prize in Life Sciences awarded to School of Medicine professor Roeland Nusse.
As Fall goes into full swing and a controversial presidential election comes to a close, I take a moment to reflect on the values and strengths of the Stanford Medicine community. I also discuss how our vision of preventive and proactive health care for all is spreading around the world.
I’m pleased to announce the inaugural issue of The Brief, my monthly newsletter of updates and my thoughts on health trends. This issue features photos of our new MD and PhD students and replays of recent talks where we reflected on our community and strategic vision.
July 5, 2016 - Today I am glad to be back on campus to extend a warm welcome to David Entwistle, the new president and chief executive officer of Stanford Health Care (SHC). David comes to us at an exciting time in biomedicine and in the life of our organization.
June 14, 2016 - Following our Commencement ceremonies on Saturday came news early Sunday morning of overwhelming loss in Orlando. I am heartbroken by this senseless act of violence. As we grieve for the victims and their family and friends, let us also stand in support of the LGBTQ community.
- Updates from Past Deans
- Associate Dean Dan Bernstein
- Stanford Medicine Health Trends
- Becky Blankenburg, MD, Named Assistant Dean for Graduate Medical Education
- Anita Honkanen, MD, Named Associate Dean for Wellness and Student Life Advising
- Allen Metzenberg, MBA, Named Associate Dean and Chief Financial Officer for Stanford School of Medicine
- Latishya Steele, PhD, Named Associate Dean for Graduate Education and Diversity
- Associate Dean Dan Bernstein
- Associate Dean PJ Utz
- Brian Bateman, MD, Named Chair of the Department of Anesthesiology, Perioperative and Pain Medicine
- Bryant Lin, MD, Named Director of Medical Humanities and Arts
- Daryl A. Oakes, MD, Named Associate Dean for Continuing Medical Education
- Doug Owens, MD, Named Inaugural Chair of the Department of Health Policy
- Felipe Perez, MD, Named Inaugural Assistant Dean for Diversity in Undergraduate Medical Education
- Interim Appointments for Stanford Cancer Center
- Josh Makower, MD, Named Director of the Stanford Byers Center for Biodesign
- Kevin B. Moody, Named Associate Dean for Human Resources
- Lahia Yemane, MD, Named Inaugural Assistant Dean for Diversity in Graduate Medical Education
- Mark Cullen, MD, Named Sr. Associate Vice Provost for the Office of the Vice Provost and Dean of Research
- Melissa Bondy, PhD, Named Chair of the Department of Epidemiology and Population Health
- Ronald Dalman, MD, Named Associate Dean for Market Development
- Susan Knox, MD, PhD, Named Associate Dean for Academic Advising
- Tanja Gruber, MD, PhD, Named Director of Bass Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders
- Yasmin Owusu, MD, Named Assistant Dean for Academic Advising
- Denise Monack, PhD, Named Chair of the Department of Microbiology and Immunology
- Garry Gold, MD, Named Chair of the Department of Radiology
- Ravi Majeti, MD, PhD, Named Director of the Institute for Stem Cell Biology and Regenerative Medicine
- Joyce Sackey, MD, Named Inaugural Chief Diversity and Inclusion Officer
- Leadership Update: Chair of Department of Bioengineering
- Rondeep Brar, MD, Named Medical Director for Cancer DSL & SCI’s Assoc. Director for Clinical Care
- Antonio Omuro