ACGME Case Log
The new defined category minimum numbers (pdf) have been approved by the RRC-Surgery for implementation effective with residents graduating in the 2017-2018 academic year. The ABS will also change our training requirements as of 2017-2018 to be consistent with the RRC-Surgery: an increase in the minimum number of total operative procedures from 750 to 850; an increase in the minimum number of chief resident year operative procedures from 150 to 200; and an increase in the minimum number of cases in surgical critical care patient management from 25 to 40.
Defined category minimums, and discreet cases within each category, are in effect for residents graduating in 2018. Beginning with the January 2020 ACGME annual program review, the Review Committee will use these defined minimums to assess graduate Case Logs.
Program Goals for Milestones:
- To give specific clinical evaluations
- To identify specific areas for intervention
- Care for Diseases and Conditions
- Performance of Operations and Procedures
- Coordination of Care
- Improvement of Care
- Self-Directed Learning
- Maintenance of Physical and Emotional Health
- Performance of Assignments and Administrative Tasks