Caloric Vestibular Stimulation for Modulation of Insight in Obsessive-Compulsive Spectrum Disorders
Do you worry about your appearance? Are you concerned about part of your body? That it’s ugly, asymmetric, or off-putting to others in some way?
Do you worry about your health? That you have an illness?
Do you worry about poisons, germs, infections, or illness? About starting a fire? Hurting someone? Offending someone? Not doing something just right? That there’s something wrong with you?
Is reassurance not reassuring? Have you been told you have anxiety, but think there’s something more?
Are you 18-65 years old?
We are actively screening individuals with strongly held appearance concerns for our study:
‘Caloric Vestibular Stimulation for Modulation of Insight in Obsessive-Compulsive Spectrum Disorders’ study.
The purpose of the study is to test whether non-invasive, brief activation of the vestibular (balance) system may influence the strength of appearance-related thoughts and relieve distress.
Compensation up to $200 after completing all study visits.
Registered on ClinicalTrials.gov
You can participate if:
- You are between 18-65 years old
- You have a diagnosis of OCD, body dysmorphic disorder (BDD), illness anxiety disorder (IAD), or somatic symptom disorder (SSD)
- No recent change in psychopharmacological treatment
- Capacity to provide informed consent
You cannot participate if:
- You have a psychiatric or medical condition that makes participation unsafe
- You are pregnant or nursing female
Duration of Study Involvement
- If eligible, study participation is 3 days