During the Closeout process the awarding agency determines whether all applicable administrative actions and all work required as a condition of the award have been completed by the award recipient.
For most grants and contracts, the final technical and financial reports must be submitted within a 90-day period following the grant or contract end date. NIH and NSF allow 120 days. For non-federal awards (i.e. state, industry, non-profits), the closeout procedures vary, depending on the policies of the sponsor. The sponsor will clarify terms and conditions (T/C) for Closeout in the award or agreement. In addition to the technical and financial reports, sponsors may have other requirements, e.g., NIH requires a Final Invention Statement.
If you are nearing the end date/Closeout period of the grant or contract and need more time to complete your research, submit a no-cost extension request to your Research Process Manager (RPM) well in advance of the end date.
During Closeout Stanford must submit all required financial, performance, and other reports as required and liquidate all obligations incurred under the award. Should Stanford fail to submit required reports by the sponsor's deadline, the sponsor can withhold continued funding or final payment on an award, and/or suspend and terminate any and all active awards, not just those of the delinquent Principal Investigator.
Stanford Internal Resources:
- Internal Closeout Procedures
- NIH: Submitting Your Final Research Performance Progress Report (F-RPPR) in Commons
- NIH: Submitting Your Final Invention Statement (FIS) in Commons
- S.M.A.R.T. Meeting Presentation New NIH Final Report Requirements
- Stanford Office of Technology & Licensing (OTL) Online Portal
The online portal can be used to obtain docket numbers, titles, and previous reporting dates to sponsor, etc.
- Property Reports (DoResearch)
- NIH Closeout Report (Medicine)
List of the NIH, AHRQ, CDC, FDA and SAMHSA awards that require closeout.
Stanford Internal Policies
- Closeout of Subawards
- Final Reporting and Financial Adjustments
- Project Closeout
- Collection and Retention
- NIH Enforcement of Closeout Policies
Notice Number: NOT-OD-18-107
Release Date: November 30, 2017
Stanford Internal Training Resources
- Cardinal Curriculum Managing Sponsored Projects: Closeout of the Award
External Agency-Specific Training Resources
- NIH Grants Closeout in eRA Commons (7 minute tutorial video)
- NSF Project reports tutorial (video)