Dr. Seth L. Sherman is a third-generation team physician and surgeon. He is board certified and fellowship trained in Sports Medicine. Dr. Sherman is proud to serve as Orthopedic Surgeon for Stanford Cardinal Football and as the Sports Medicine fellowship director.
Dr. Sherman specializes in arthroscopic and minimally invasive surgical interventions for the knee and shoulder. He has subspecialty and research interests in knee joint preservation/cartilage restoration and the patellofemoral joint. As a tertiary care provider, Dr. Sherman offers non-surgical and salvage surgical solutions for active patients with complex problems and in cases where other surgeries have failed.
Dr. Sherman completed his residency training at the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York City and was trained by the team physicians for the NY Giants, Mets, and Knicks. During his sports medicine fellowship in Chicago , he served as assistant team physician for the Chicago Bulls and White Sox. Prior to joining the team at Stanford University in July 2019, he served as team physician for the Mizzou Tigers in the NCAA SEC conference.
Dr. Sherman is co-author on more than 100 peer reviewed articles/chapters and actively presents his research at national and international meetings. He is Chairman of the AAOS Sports Medicine/Arthroscopy committee and holds leadership positions in several other organizations (AOSSM, AANA, ISAKOS, ICRS). He is a member of the prestigious international ACL and Patellofemoral Study Groups.
He enjoys spending time with wife Sylvia and daughter Evie. He is an avid fresh and saltwater fly fisherman.
- Orthopaedic Surgery
- Knee Ligament Repair/Reconstruction (ACL, PCL, Posteromedial, Posterolateral, Anterolateral complex, Medial Patellofemoral Ligament)
- Knee Meniscus Repair/Replacement (all-inside repair, inside-out repair, outside-in repair, root repair, meniscus allograft transplantation)
- Knee Cartilage Restoration (osteochondral allograft, MACI procedure, DeNovo NT, OAT autograft, microfracture plus etc.)
- Knee Osteotomy (Tibial Tubercle Osteotomy/Fulkerson, High Tibial Osteotomy, Distal Femoral Osteotomy)
- Surgical Management of the Patellofemoral Joint
- Shoulder arthroscopy (rotator cuff tendonitis, rotator cuff tear, SLAP/biceps complex, AC arthritis/separation, subacromial bursitis, labral tear, shoulder instability)
- Open shoulder surgery (TSA, reverse TSA, open Latarjet, open distal tibial allograft)
- Surgical tendinopathy/tear (distal biceps, distal triceps, patella tendon, quad tendon, Achilles tendon, proximal hamstring, tennis elbow, golfer's elbow)
Associate Professor - Med Center Line, Orthopaedic Surgery
Board Certification: American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, Sports Medicine (2015)
Board Certification: American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, Orthopaedic Surgery (2013)
Fellowship: Rush University Medical Center GME Office (2011) IL
Residency: Hospital for Special Surgery Orthopaedic Surgery Residency (2010) NY
Medical Education: Weill Cornell Medical College (2005) NY