Exogenous Micro-RNA and Antagomir Modulate Osteogenic Gene Expression in Tenocytes.
Experimental cell research
Tendinopathy is a common and disabling condition that is difficult to treat. The pathomolecular events behind tendinopathy remain uncertain. Micro-RNAs (miRNAs, miRs) are short non-coding RNAs that regulate gene expression and may play a role in tendinopathy development. Tenocytes were obtained from human patellar tendons in patients undergoing anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) reconstruction. Micro-RNA mimics and antagomirs for miR-30d, 26a, and 29a were separately transfected into tenocyte culture. Gene expression for scleraxis, collagen 1 alpha 1 (COL1A1), collagen 3 alpha 1 (COL3A1), interleukin-1-beta (IL-1beta), interleukin-6 (IL-6), bone morphogenic protein 2 (BMP2), bone morphogenic protein 12 (BMP12), and osteocalcin was determined for each miRNA mimic and antagomir transfection using real-time quantitative PCR (qPCR). The results showed that exogenous miR-29a downregulated BMP2 and BMP12, while miR-26a and miR-30d did not have a significant effect on tenocyte gene expression. These findings suggest miR-29a contributes to tendon homeostasis and can serve as a potential therapeutic target in treating tendinopathy.
View details for PubMedID 30849310
- Increased Prevalence of Concomitant Psychiatric Diagnoses Among Patients Undergoing Hip Arthroscopic Surgery ORTHOPAEDIC JOURNAL OF SPORTS MEDICINE 2019; 7 (1)
Increased reoperation rates among patients undergoing shoulder arthroscopy with concomitant biceps tenodesis.
JSES open access
2019; 3 (4): 344–49
The purpose of this study was to determine whether patients undergoing any shoulder arthroscopic procedure with concomitant biceps tenodesis have higher reoperation and complication rates vs. patients undergoing shoulder arthroscopy without concomitant biceps tenodesis.A large database was queried for patients undergoing shoulder arthroscopy, identified by Current Procedural Terminology code. Only records indicating the laterality of the procedure were included. Patients were divided into 3 cohorts: arthroscopic shoulder surgery without concomitant biceps tenodesis (group 1), surgery with arthroscopic biceps tenodesis (group 2), and surgery with open biceps tenodesis (group 3). Reoperations on the same shoulder, as well as medical or surgical complications (by International Classification of Diseases, Ninth Revision code) during the 30-day postoperative period, were determined. Multivariate logistic regression was used to control for differences in age, sex, and Charlson Comorbidity Index between groups.We identified 62,461 patients (54.3% male patients) in the database who underwent shoulder arthroscopy, with 51,773 patients in group 1, 7134 patients in group 2, and 3554 patients in group 3. Overall, 3134 patients (5.0%) underwent a shoulder arthroscopy reoperation. With adjustment for age, sex, and Charlson Comorbidity Index, the biceps intervention groups demonstrated a significantly higher overall reoperation rate (odds ratio, 1.3 [95% confidence interval, 1.2-1.5]; P < .001). Patients undergoing biceps tenodesis had a lower adjusted overall 30-day complication rate vs. those not undergoing tenodesis (odds ratio, 0.82 [95% confidence interval, 0.79-0.86]; P < .001).Reoperation rates were significantly higher in patients undergoing shoulder arthroscopy with biceps tenodesis than in patients undergoing shoulder arthroscopy without biceps tenodesis. Both the arthroscopic and open tenodesis groups had significantly lower complication rates.
View details for DOI 10.1016/j.jses.2019.08.002
View details for PubMedID 31891037
View details for PubMedCentralID PMC6928255
Design and synthesis of new piperidone grafted acetylcholinesterase inhibitors
BIOORGANIC & MEDICINAL CHEMISTRY LETTERS
2017; 27 (2): 228–31
Alzheimer's disease (AD) is a neurodegenerative disorder affecting 35million people worldwide. A common strategy to improve the well-being of AD patients consists on the inhibition of acetylcholinesterase with the concomitant increase of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine at cholinergic synapses. Two series of unreported N-benzylpiperidines 5(a-h) and thiazolopyrimidines 9(a-q) molecules were synthesized and evaluated in vitro for their acetylcholinesterase (AChE) inhibitory activities. Among the newly synthesized compounds, 5h, 9h, 9j, and 9p displayed higher AChE enzyme inhibitory activities than the standard drug, galantamine, with IC50 values of 0.83, 0.98, and 0.73μM, respectively. Cytotoxicity studies of 5h, 9h, 9j, 9n and 9p on human neuroblastoma cells SH-SY5Y, showed no toxicity up to 40μM concentration. Molecular docking simulations of the active compounds 5h and 9p disclosed the crucial role of π-π-stacking in their binding interaction to the active site AChE enzyme. The presented compounds have potential as AChE inhibitors and potential AD drugs.
View details for DOI 10.1016/j.bmcl.2016.11.065
View details for Web of Science ID 000392558500022
View details for PubMedID 27914796
View details for PubMedCentralID PMC5518470