• In October 2017 my previous research related to Alzheimer's signs in dolphins got worldwide recognition appearing in tv and newspapers from all around the world such Newsweek, The Times, CBS, Discover, The Chicago Post, Los Angeles Times, Nature, National Geographic Italy (2018) and more. I recently joined to Stanford University (Stem Cell Transplantation and Regenerative Medicine).
• My initial training focused on marine biology, with special emphasis on trace metal pollution. This work, which involved collaborations with different governmental, private (as Venezuelan Oil Company) and University entities (national and international), was well recognized in Venezuela where I received a merit award by the Town Hall of Porlamar (Margarita Island).
• After graduation, I obtained a fellowship to enroll in a Master Degree program in Waste Management at the Universidad Internacional de Andalucia (Spain). My performance in this program allowed me to obtain a very prestigious Biomedicine fellowship (one awarded in all of Latin America) from the Santander-Central-Hispano Bank to begin a PhD in Genetics and Development related to Neuroscience at Universidad de Zaragoza (Spain).
• My PhD studies focused on comparative pathology, demonstrating pathology similar to Alzheimer's Disease in dogs and cetaceans. After a few years of work in academia in Venezuela, I obtained an opportunity to become a post-doctoral fellow at the University of Florida (USA).
• In 2014, I transferred to the Department of Neuroscience to work with Drs. David Borchelt. Since this time, my work has focused on understanding how mutations in Matrin 3 cause ALS and myopathy. In 2016, I was promoted to an entry level faculty position (Assistant Scientist) in the Department of Neuroscience and my goal includeded the use of techniques in genetics,, cellular biology and chemistry to develop a research program that spans basic science to pharmacological application in neuromuscular disorders.
Honors & Awards
Award of Merit “City of Porlamar”, Nueva Esparta State Government, Venezuela (2007)
Medal of Honor, Veterans Hospital-UNEFA (Department of Defense, Margarita Island, Venezuela) (2007)
PhD Genetics and Development, cum laude, Universidad de Zaragoza, Spain (2005)
MSc. Waste Management, cum laude, Universidad Internacional de Andalucia, Spain (2003)
BSc. Marine Biology, cum laude, Universidad de Oriente, Venezuela (1999)
Education & Certifications
PhD Genetics & Dev cum laude, Universidad de Zaragoza, (Zaragoza, Spain), Genetics (2005)
MSc. Waste Management cum laude, Universidad Internacional de Andalucia (Jaen, Spain), waste control (2004)
BSc. Marine Biology cum laude, Universidad de Oriente (Margarita Island, Venezuela), Biology (1999)