Publications & Resources
Presence 5 for Racial Justice Workshop: Fostering Dialogue Across Medical Education to Disrupt Anti-Black Racism in Clinical Encounters. Shankar, Henderson, Garcia, Li, Titer, Acholonu, Essien, Brown-Johnson, Cox, Shaw, Haverfield, Taylor, Thadaney Israni, Zulman. MedEdPORTAL, 2022.
Nonmedical Transdisciplinary Perspectives of Black and Racially and Ethnically Diverse Individuals About Antiracism Practices: A Qualitative Study. Shankar, Cox, Baratta, De Leon, Shaw, Thadaney Israni, Zulman, Brown-Johnson. JAMA Network Open, 2022
- Using ethnographic methods to classify the human experience in medicine: a case study of the presence ontology. Maitra, Zulman, Haverfield, Brown-Johnson, Schwartz, Israni, Verghese, et. al. JAMIA, 2021.
- Virtual Care, Telemedicine Visits, and Real Connection in the Era of COVID-19: Unforeseen Opportunity in the Face of Adversity. Zulman DM & Verghese A. JAMA. 2021
- Practices to foster physician presence and connection with patients in the clinical encounter. Zulman DM, et al. JAMA, 2020
- Can Patient-Provider Interpersonal Interventions Achieve the Quadruple Aim of Health Care?: A Systematic Review. Haverfield MC, et al., Journal of General Internal Medicine, 2020
- Presence: Physician and non-physician insights about the art of human connection in clinical encounter. Brown-Johnson C, et al. BMJ Open, 2019
- Transdisciplinary Strategies for Physician Wellness: Qualitative Insights from Diverse Fields. Schwartz R, et al., Journal of General Internal Medicine, 2019 (more at Stanford News)
Presence Circle Facilitator Guide
Our team has developed materials for clinicans who are interested in implementing Presence Circle discussion groups with colleagues or trainees in their practice setting.
Communicating with Presence - Presence 5 Stanford CME Video
The Presence 5 team worked with Stanford CME to develop a 10-minute video for clinicians to briefly learn the Presence 5 practices to foster trust with patients in clinical encounters.
Virtual Care with Presence - Tele-Presence 5 Stanford CME Video
The Presence 5 team worked with Stanford CME to develop a 10-minute video for clinicians to briefly learn the Tele-Presence 5 practices to foster trust with patients over video visits.
P5RJ Medical Education – Stanford CME Module
The Presence 5 for Racial Justice team partnered with Stanford CME to create a 30-minute Train-the-Trainer Module to guide clinician-educators on the P5RJ Medical Education Workshop content and provide the tools to facilitate these important anti-racism discussions with medical trainees.
COMPLETE THE P5RJ MEDICAL EDUCATION TRAIN-THE-TRAINER CME MODULE.
Presence 5 for Racial Justice Clinician Resources
Everyone has different ways to care for themselves. The Presence for Racial Justice team has compiled a list which provides various approaches to seeking professional care, individual self-care exercises, and more. Feel free to use what you feel will be beneficial for you.