UCB Enrollment, Fees, & California Residency

During the academic year when coursework is done at UCB, students will enroll at UCB and pay standard fees directly to UCB.

In order to receive in-state tuition at the University of California, students must have established California residency at least one year prior to enrollment. Full-time students in the state do not necessarily qualify.  For details see UCB's Legal Residence Information.

Students applying to the Dual Degree program are eligible for all UCB financial aid, fellowships, and grant programs. A number of Stanford students who have attended Berkeley in the past have received grants and fellowships that covered the full cost of tuition. Students are also eligible for TA-ships and Graduate Student Researcher (GSR) positions at UCB.

Visit the Association of Schools of Public Health online to see a list of Internship and Fellowship Programs for MPH students.

Stanford Leave of Absence

Taking the year off to pursue an MPH at Berkeley requires filing for leave of absence from Stanford.  This simply requires filling out a "Leave of Absence" form and submitting it to Eva Vasquez in MSOB x341.  Students must also complete the financial aid “exit interview” by contacting Abera Metaferia for an appointment or just stopping by during business hours.

Students who decide to re-enroll at Stanford earlier than expected (to start clerkships early, or for a Med Scholars project), will need to file a “Returning Student Request to Register” at least one month prior to the start of the appropriate quarter.  The form should be submitted to the Office of the University Registrar in Old Union.  Students who are returning to Stanford as scheduled do not need to file any paperwork other than financial aid documents for the upcoming academic year.