Stanford Pediatrics TEAM Academy
Training Effective & Authentic Managers
Stanford Pediatrics TEAM Academy is a 6-month professional development program for new and newly emerging managers in the Department of Pediatrics. This program is designed to equip staff with the skills needed to be effective managers, leaders, mentors, and coaches for their staff teams. The program includes a combination of skill building workshops, HR fundamentals, and mentored conversations with experienced managers.
Participants will stay together as a cohort for the 6 months of the program in order to build connections across the department and to develop support networks that will last beyond the end of TEAM Academy.
By the end of this program, participants in TEAM Academy will be able to:
- Apply the core skills required of effective managers.
- Reflect on one’s strengths and areas for growth and apply skills learned during the program to real life situations.
- Network with other new staff managers and foster cross-departmental connections.
Who It's For
- New staff managers who supervise* at least 1 other staff member and have started supervising within the past 2 years.
- Staff who indirectly supervise other staff or manage teams with oversight responsibilities and where managerial skills would be helpful in their role.
- Staff who their supervisor expects will become a supervisor of staff within the next year.
*To "supervise" a staff member means you meet with them regularly for performance management, provide feedback and mentoring, complete their performance appraisal, and are listed as their supervisor in Stanford HR records.
Members of the Spring 2023 cohort of TEAM Academy will spend 4 hours together per month for the 6 months of the program in the skill building workshops, HR fundamental sessions, and mentored conversations.
We strongly encourage participants in TEAM Academy to spend time each month practicing applying concepts learned in TEAM Academy in their work in order to practice new skills in their roles.
Certificate of Completion
Upon successful completion of TEAM Academy, participants will receive a Certificate of Completion for participation in this professional development program.
- October 6: Application Opens
- November 7: Application Closes
- November 18: Decisions Sent
- December 2: Decisions Due
- January 12: Program Starts
- June 28: Program Ends
Dates & Cost
- January 12 & 25
- February 9 & 22
- March 9 & 22
- April 13 & 26
- May 11 & 24
- June 8 & 21
- Graduation: June 28 (11am - 1pm)
There is no cost for participation in TEAM Academy.
TEAM Academy Application (Spring 2023)
Please complete online application to apply for the Stanford Department of Pediatrics TEAM Academy for Spring 2023.
Deadline to apply is Monday, November 7, 2022.
The TEAM Academy Curriculum Includes Three Curricular Tracks:
Skill Development Workshops
Opportunity for staff to learn the skills needed to be effective managers, coaches, mentors, leaders, and supervisors.
Interactive sessions focused on equipping participants with skills they can integrate into their roles as managers immediately after each session.
HR 101 Didactics
Learn the basic knowledge and tools every new manager needs in order to manage the “nuts and bolts” of our roles.
Small group mentored conversations with experienced staff managers within the Department of Pediatrics.
The goal is to give new staff managers the opportunity to learn from experienced managers about their journeys and to reflect on what they have been learning in TEAM Academy each month.
If you have any questions, please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.