Stanford-HBMC Research Retreat
A Virtual Event: Friday, September 9, 2022
Welcome to the 2022 Stanford-HBMC Research Retreat!
We are pleased to showcase the summer research projects conducted by this year’s cohort of rising second-year medical students from Meharry, Morehouse, and Howard medical colleges with their research mentors from Stanford University School of Medicine.
The Stanford-HBMC Summer Research Program matches medical students from historically black medical colleges with Stanford University research mentors for an 8-week research experience. This year, 48 student mentees participated in the program, matching with mentors from departments across the Stanford University School of Medicine.
Initially established in 2017 as the Stanford-Meharry Initiative by Dr. Abraham Verghese in the Department of Medicine, the program now features mentors from departments across Stanford University School of Medicine and partners with the Office of Faculty Development and Diversity and the Racial Equity to Advance a Community of Health Initiative. Participating medical students hail from Meharry Medical College, Howard University College of Medicine and Morehouse School of Medicine. We hope you enjoy this interactive and informative retreat!
The retreat is a live virtual event that will be held via ZOOM
- Duration: 4 hours
- A distinguished keynote speaker will give a research talk followed by Q&A session
- Each presenting student will create a 3–5-minute pre-recorded video presentation of their summer research project. The recordings will be available for preview the week leading up to the retreat and played during the retreat. Each presenter will have a Q&A with other attendees in their session after their recording is played
- Awards will be handed out in two categories: "Best Abstract"and the "People’s Choice Award"
- All presenting students will receive a certificate of participation!
Join us on Friday, September 9, 2022
- Stanford School of Medicine: 10 am - 2 pm, PT
- Meharry Medical College: 12 pm - 4 pm, CT
- Howard Medical School: 1 pm - 5 pm, ET
- Morehouse Medical School: 1 pm - 5 pm, ET
Registration goes live!
Friday, August 12, 2022
|Submission deadline for all presentation materials||Registration is now closed|
Online preview of poster presenter videos & abstracts
|September 5 - 9, 2022|
|2022 Stanford-HBMC Research Retreat||Friday, September 9, 2022
10:00 am - 2:00 pm, PT
12:00 pm - 4:00 pm, CT
1:00 pm - 5:00 pm, ET
Please note your time zone below
Katrin J. Svensson, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Pathology
Stanford Medicine, Department of Pathology
Dr. Svensson completed her Ph.D. at Lund University and her postdoctoral work at the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute and Harvard Medical School in the lab of Bruce Spiegelman studying mammalian energy metabolism. The Svensson Laboratory is dedicated to the discovery of new pathways of energy regulation using a combination of secretome proteomics, gene editing and physiology approaches to better understand how to target complex diseases such as aging, metabolic diseases, and cancer.
Register for the Retreat
Submit your Abstract, Video & Poster for presentation
- All abstracts, presentation videos, and digital posters will be viewable in the week leading up to and on the day of the retreat, from September 5-9, 2022
- The submitted material must reflect a research project conducted by the Stanford-HBMC Summer Research Program interns at the Stanford University School of Medicine this year
- The deadline to submit all presentation material is
Monday, August 29, 2022 • 5 pm PT
PLEASE NOTE: THE DEADLINE HAS BEEN EXTENDED TO FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 2, 2022 • 5 PM PT
For general questions about the retreat please contact:
Roomana (Roo) Patel
Tel: (650) 725-9352
For technical questions or assistance please contact:
Tel: (650) 724-1866