Graphic Arts & Imaging Services
Originally known as the "Photo Lab", Room L206 in Lane Building has a long history with the Department of Pathology. Before the advent of digital photography the Photo Lab was a room where analog photography of histologic slides were taken, the resulting film was processed in the adjoining darkroom and photographic prints and kodachromes were made from the film to be used for diagnostic, teaching, publication, and consulting purposes.
With the advent of digital photography the Photo Lab morphed into graphic arts support services for faculty, residents, fellows, postdocs, research labs, and staff within the Department of Pathology. Services offered range from illustrations and graphics for the latest papers published by faculty and principle investigators to online website creation, digital publications, and poster printing for conferences and presentations.
List of services available
- The creation of science and medical graphics for digital & print publications (journals, books, grants, web, etc)
- Website design, editing, and maintenance for the Department of Pathology (includes research lab websites)
- Microscopy photography for publication quality images
- Photography for the Department of Pathology
- Science poster printing, creation or consultation for conferences, retreats, and presentations
- Graphic design for departmental materials (catalogs, business cards, stationary, flyers, digital forms, etc)
- Image retouching services (image stacking, color retouching, composition of photos, etc)
- Instruction & support in the use of Adobe products (Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat, Indesign, etc)
- Support services for the Department of Pathology retreats and events
- Collaborative scientific book creation (imaging & illustrations) with other universities and institutions
Equipment and software available for use
The Nikon Ni-e is a confocal semi-automatic brightfield microscope with SPOT CMOS camera and software to give you publication quality images. Objectives: 4x, 10x, 20x, 40x and 60x, and 100x. This scope is fully calibrated so that you can easily add scale bars to your image.
The Nikon SMZ1500 is a small tissue microscope with a SPOT CMOS camera and software to give you publication quality images. 1/2x and 1x lense available. This scope is great for photographing small tissue within a 6 cm radius. Located in L206B.
Request a service or access to L206 for use of equipment
The services and equipment are available for use by the Department of Pathology personnel only. L206 is a secured access room and only available to faculty, residents, fellows, staff and researchers of the Department of Pathology. Please email email@example.com for more information.