Image credit: iStock.com/Courtney Hale
About the Study
Opioids are a type of pain medicine that require a doctor’s prescription and are regulated by federal agencies.
The VALUE Study aims to bring forward the patient voice and experience about prescription opioids to inform future research. The patient experience is often not included in research on the long-term use of pain medications such as opioids. To fill this gap, we wish to learn from patients in the U.S. on the following:
- whether prescription opioids help treat pain and if so how much
- whether patients experience stigma around prescription opioids
- what problems people may experience with opioids prescribed for chronic pain
- whether patients have difficulty getting opioids that are prescribed to them
This study is funded by the Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI).
What does the VALUE Study involve?
The VALUE Study involves completing three online surveys and three brief phone calls with a study staff to check medications.
VALUE study participants complete three online surveys: baseline, 6 months and 12 months. Each survey may take you about 45 minutes to complete. Each survey that may take 45 minutes to complete. The survey will ask you questions about pain, symptoms, pain coping, medication use, mood, sleep, substance use, general health and well-being.
After each survey, a study staff will call you to confirm your current medications over the phone and answer any questions that you may have.
What you get: When you complete each survey, you will immediately receive an Amazon gift card.
How to Get Started
- Please contact the study coordinator to take the screening survey.
- Complete the study screening form. This is to make sure you are a good fit for the study.
- Next, the study coordinator will set up a call with you to confirm your medications. The phone call is important because many people find completing medication questions online confusing and we want to make sure we get your information right. This usually takes 10-15 minutes.
- If you qualify, you will be invited to join the study.
Frequently Asked Questions
Study Coordinator: Hannah Cunningham