SRTS: Sunshine Gardens Elementary School
South San Francisco, CA (September 2020-Present)
In colloboration with the San Mateo Office of Education and Sunshine Gardens Elementary School
Document safety risks near schools and encourage increased rates of walking/biking to school.
“What makes it easy or hard to walk or bike to school? What ideas do you have for making it better?”
Using their own or borrowed project devices, a total of 28 Sunshine Garden Elementary citizen scientists (including parents, teachers, school administrators, and other local stakeholders) conducted walking assessments over a period five days, using the Discovery Tool app to identify facilatotors and barriers of safe routes to school.
Over a total of 24 collection walks, Sunshine Garden citizen scientists collected 261 photos and recorded 232 narratives about their environment.
These records were catagorized into 9 themes:
- Condition of Sidewalks and Pathways (85 photos)
- Crossings and Crosswalks (59 photos)
- Vehicle Speed (30 photos)
- Traffic Signs, Lights and Controls (26 photos)
- Bike Accommodations and Facilities (23 photos)
- General Safety and Security (23 photos)
- Connectivity of Sidewalks and Pathways (22 photos)
- Vehicle Behavior (22 photos)
- Uncategorized (51 photos)
After data collection, 30 project participants attended a follow-up community meeting to discuss observations, celebrate strengths, and identify areas for improvement.
- Residents are supportive of one another
- Neighborhood members know who to talk to in order to make community change
Identified Areas for Improvement:
- Incomplete network of sidewalks & bike facilities
- Unsafe crossings & missing infrastructure
- Lack of traffic safety measure
- Unsafe vehicle speeds & behaviors
Activities and Outcomes:
Using Discovery Tool data, 23 strategies and solutions regarding safer routes to school were generated, incuding:
- Improvements in the pedestrian and bicycle network
- Slower traffic/decreased conflicts with pedestrians & bikes
- Improvements in walk/bike supports and encouragement for all students
- Five-minute vehicle safety delay
- Installation of satellite drop-off and pick-up areas