The Leadership of Stanford Otolaryngology : a historical perspective

Stanford’s predecessor school, the Cooper Medical College of the Pacific in San Francisco, was founded in 1870. By the late 19th century it had an eye, ear, nose, and throat clinic.

Cooper Professor of Surgery Levi Cooper Lane (1828-1902) was a pioneer head and neck surgeon. In 1896, Lane published the first textbook of head and neck surgery. Lane is remembered today by the Stanford School of Medicine’s Lane Library (initially founded from his extensive book collection) and the Lane Surgery Center (named in 2017) in which most OHNS surgery is conducted.
 


The Cooper Medical School became Stanford University School of Medicine in 1909. Adolph Barkan (1844-1935) was the first Chief of Otolaryngology at the newly formed school. The Barkan collection of Otolaryngology and Ophthalmology books provides a superb historical resource in Stanford’s Lane Library.

Edward Cecil Sewall (1875-1957) was the next chief, serving from 1911 to 1940. Sewall was a Stanford graduate in the class of 1898 and the valedictorian of the Cooper Medical School in 1902. Originally practicing eye, ear, nose, and throat, he limited his practice to otolaryngology from 1914. He served as Chief of Otolaryngology for the time of his joining the faculty at the inception of the Stanford School of Medicine until his retirement in 1940. Sewall is remembered for an orbital retractor which bears his name. He and his wife Amy had no children. They left a generous endowment to further the goals of Stanford’s otolaryngology department which now supports five OHNS faculty members and has a market value of over $20 million.

The school remained in San Francisco until 1959 when it moved to Palo Alto. Robert C. McNaught (1906 -1986), remembered for the McNaught laryngeal keel, led the program from 1940 to 1957. Like many of his contemporaries McNaught chose to remain in San Francisco when the program moved south. In the early years in Palo Alto, the program was run by community practitioners Lee Shahinian (1909-2004) and William F. Baxter (1924-2008). F. Blair Simmons (1930 – 1998) served from 1965 to 1980 and established Stanford as a true academic program. For the next 20 years, the program was ably led by Willard E. Fee Jr. (1943 -) followed by Richard L. Goode (1935 -) as interim (2000-2003).

In 2003, the small program which had been a division of surgery for nearly a century, became and independent department with newly recruited Robert K. Jackler (1954 -) as its inaugural chair. The establishment of OHNS as an independent department heralded a period of rapid growth.

Timeline
 

1896
Levi Cooper Lane (1828 – 1902) A founder of the Cooper Medical cCollege (Predecessor of Stanford School of Medicine) publishes Surgery of the Head and Neck (1180 pages)

1909
Stanford School of Medicine Created in San Francisco

1909
Barkan Adolf (1845 – 1935) appointed first professor of structures and diseases of the eye, ear, and larynx

1959
Stanford School of Medicine moved to Palo Alto

1964
Blair Simmons implants the first multichannel cochlear implant in collaboration with Stanford   electrical engineering.

1977
First post-residency fellowship established. (facial plastics/head & neck surgery) – beginning emphasis on post -residency, sub-specialty training which has grown to encompass programs in all sub-specialties of OHNS.

1991
Lucile Packard Children’s Hospital opens

2003
Otolaryngology – Head & Neck Surgery awarded departmental status
(From 1909 – 2003 had been a Division of the Department of Surgery)

2004
Department moves to new academic home at 801 Welch Road

2004
Stanford Cancer Center opens

2005
Residency expanded from 3 to 4 per year.

2006
Perkins Microsurgery Laboratory dedicated

2012
Stanford Initiative to Cure Hearing Loss launched

2015
Stanford Ear Institute opens

2017
Residency expanded from 4 to 5 per year, T32 program begins

2018
New Stanford Children’s Hospital opens

2018
Stanford OHNS achieves #2 ranking on US News and #5 recipient of NIH funding

2019
New Stanford Hospital opens

2003 -2019
Growth from 5 to 53 faculty members