Endocrine Head & Neck Surgery Program
Head & Neck Surgery
World-Class Care by a World-Class Team
Press Option 2, then Option 3
Ultrasound-Guided Radiofrequency Ablation of Benign Thyroid Nodules
An virtual educational event led by Dr. Lisa Orloff and Dr. Julia Noel discussing RFA of benign thyroid nodules, including:
- What is radiofrequency ablation?
- Indications and patient selection for thyroid RFA
- Thyroid/neck ultrasonography and RFA-relevant findings
- The consent process: expected outcomes and potential risks
- Anesthetic and ablative techniques under ultrasound guidance
The Stanford Endocrine Head & Neck (Thyroid & Parathyroid) Surgery Program provides comprehensive, high-quality care for patients with thyroid and parathyroid conditions using both surgical and non-surgical approaches.
Our program emphasizes recognizing and treating the whole person and all of the structures and functions that are associated with their thyroid and parathyroid glands. We pride ourselves on offering the full complement of diagnostic and therapeutic techniques, including:
- vocal cord and airway evaluation before and after surgery
- ultrasound guided biopsies and procedures in the office
- minimally invasive or remote access techniques
- traditional surgical approaches
Why Stanford Endocrine Head & Neck Surgery?
Our team combines:
- a high volume of experience
- a multi-disciplinary perspective
- incorporation of dynamically-acquired data (such as ultrasound information, laryngoscopy, nerve monitoring, parathyroid hormone testing) and
- a patient-centered approach to provide an ideal treatment plan designed to meet each individual’s unique needs.
Our surgeons work together with:
- nuclear medicine professionals
- speech pathologists
- nurse coordinators and staff, and
- most importantly with you and your family.
We also collaborate with other specialists as needed, including:
- medical oncologists
- radiation oncologists
- thoracic surgeons
We develop a plan especially for you, that streamlines your care before, during, and after treatment.
Addressing the whole region, not just the glands
The thyroid and parathyroid glands are located in the neck, adjacent to vital structures such as the larynx, laryngeal nerves, esophagus, trachea, and lymphatic channels that link to lymph nodes throughout the neck. This broader anatomy of the neck is incorporated into the Stanford Endocrine Head and Neck Surgery team's diagnostic and technical expertise in head and neck surgery. The team's expertise also includes voice evaluation and preservation to optimize care of the thyroid and parathyroid glands.
International experts in the field of ultrasonography
In addition to expertise in thyroid and parathyroid surgery, our physicians are leaders in the practice of office-based ultrasonography using state-of-the-art ultrasound imaging.
Our physicians are also experts in examination and care of the larynx, incorporating diagnostic laryngoscopy (examination of the airway, including vocal cords and larynx) into their care of the whole patient.
Conditions We Manage