The Keto-Med Trial - Contrasting Ketogenic and Mediterranean Diets in Individuals With Type 2 Diabetes and Prediabetes
We Want to Know...
The objective of this study was to compare two metabolically distinct diets, a well-formulated Ketogenic diet (WFKD) vs a Mediterranean Diet (Med-Plus), in order to examine the potential benefits, and unintended consequences, of going beyond a focus on maximally avoiding added sugars and refined grains, to also avoiding legumes, fruits, and whole grains.
Eligible participant are:
- 18 years or older
- Have type-2 diabetes or pre-diabetes
If eligible, participants were asked to:
- Eat both a Ketogenic (WFKD) and Mediterranean (Med-Plus) diet for 12 weeks each.
- Attend 7 clinic visits over a 16-week period (30 minutes each).
- Attend up to 14 classes with a registered dietitian.
- Maintain dietary food records throughout the study.
- Provide blood and stool samples, and complete questionnaires.
- Wear a continuous glucose monitor (CGM) for 2 weeks at 6 time points throughout the study.
Upon completion, participants will receive the following free of charge:
- Results of their blood analyses
- A “map” of their microbiota composition
How to Participate
This study is now closed to enrollment.
If you have questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.