Statement on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion:
In the Shah lab, we believe that all people are equal and valuable human beings. We celebrate the individual differences of each member of our lab community. Our lab’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion has demonstrated that these values help foster scientific discovery and enrich our lab culture by expanding viewpoints, countering biases, and offering unique approaches and ideas. We recognize that certain groups have faced disproportionate and systematic oppression and exclusion in STEM research, and we are dedicated to working for positive restorative change in the neuroscientific research community. Knowing that opportunities and barriers to success are different for each individual, our lab is committed to providing each lab member with a welcoming and supportive environment that helps them thrive and achieve their fullest potential.
- Cultivate an open and respectful learning and collaborative culture
- Value diversity of all forms (culture, race/ethnicity, gender, socioeconomic status, sexual orientation, religion, and physical and learning differences)
- Inclusive culture of sharing, exchanging, and transferring of knowledge
- Commitment to continued learning on DEI topics and be active with outreach initiatives
- Inclusive hiring policies/practices
- Continually checking unconscious bias