Nuriel Moghavem, MD
Internship: Santa Clara Valley Medical Center
Medical School: Stanford School of Medicine
Undergraduate: Columbia University
- Health systems reform
- Quality improvement
LEADERSHIP AND POLICY EXPERIENCE
- Health Professions Education Foundation Board of Trustees: President and Governor’s Appointee (2019 – Present)
- Physicians for Healthy California CalHealthCares Advisory Council Member (2019 – Present)
- California Medical Association: Council on Medical Services (2017 - Present); Healthy California for All Technical Advisory Committee (2020 – Present); Chair, Residents and Fellows Section (2018 - 2019); Technical Advisory Committee on Health Reform (2017 - 2019); Trustee (2015 - 2017); Chair, Medical Student Section (2014-2015)
- Gavin Newsom for Governor: Health Policy Advisor (2017 - 2018)
- California State Assembly, Office of Richard S. Gordon, 24th District: Legislative Assistant for water, environment and technology; Secretary, Assembly Select Committee on Water Consumption and Alternative Sources (2015 – 2016)
Moghavem N, Oh DL, Santiago-Rodríguez EJ, Tate WJ, Gomez SL, Thomas R. "Impact of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act on 1-year survival in glioblastoma patients." Neurooncol Adv. 2020 Jun 19;2(1).
Tedesco D, Moghavem N, Weng Y, Fantini MP, Hernandez-Boussard T. “Improvement in Patient Safety May Precede Policy Changes: Trends in Patient Safety Indicators in the United States, 2000-2013” J Patient Saf. 2020 Mar 25.
Moghavem N, Wakelee HA, Nagpal S. “Case closed: another prophylactic cranial irradiation trial for stage 3 non-small cell lung cancer fails to improve overall survival.” Ann Transl Med. 2018 Dec 6(Suppl 2):S118
Moghavem N and Magnus D (2019). Ethical Considerations in Transplant Patients. In Y. Sher and J. Maldonado (Eds.), Psychosocial Care of End-Stage Organ Disease and Transplant Patients, (pp.527-538). Springer.
Moghavem N. “The California Cap-and-Trade Program: A Model Policy for Promoting Environmental Justice Using Accountability for Reasonableness.” American Journal of Bioethics, March 2018.
Moghavem N. “Using Technology to Facilitate Better Community Consultation with Marginalized Communities.” American Journal of Bioethics, May 2017.
Moghavem N, McDonald K, Ratliff J, Hernandez-Boussard T. “Performance Measures in Neurosurgical Patient Care: Differing Applications of Patient Safety Indicators.” Medical Care, January 2016.
Moghavem N, Morrison D, Ratliff J, Hernandez-Boussard T. “Cranial Neurosurgical 30-Day Readmissions by Clinical Indication.” Journal of Neurosurgery, Vol 123, No 1, July 2015.
Lee B, Moghavem N, Black KL, Yu JS, et al., “Nanoprodrugs of NSAIDs: Preparation and Characterization of Flufenamic Acid Nanoprodrugs,” Journal of Drug Delivery, vol. 2011, Article ID 980720, 13 pages, 2011. doi:10.1155/2011/980720
- 2020 American Academy of Neurology's Enhanced Resident Leadership Program
- Stanford Ethics Center Fellow
- Stanford Graduate Public Service Fellow
- Pegasus Physician Writers
- 2017 Stanford School of Medicine Match Day Class Speaker
- Reading, especially US History
- International travel
- Creative writing