The level of support for physics residents in Years 01 and 02 is identical to that for Year 01 and Year 02 medical residents (PGY2 and PGY3), respectively, and is administered through the Office of Graduate Medical Education. Partial funding for these residents has been and is expected to continue to be derived from the operations of the Physics Division outreach program.
Information on salary, bonuses, educational and other business-related paymentsis is updated annually on the Stanford GME website. Medical Physics residents begin at PGYII. Scan below to learn more.
Benefits include health, dental, disability and life insurance plans that are offered according to the Office of Graduate Medical Education. Residents receive additional single annual payment of $1,000 intended to offset the costs of cell phone. Each resident commencing training in a Stanford house staff program for the first time will be eligible for up to $7,200 in housing allowance per annum. Residents are eligible for an educational benefit of $2,000 if all assigned on-line Stanford HealthStream training modules are completed by assigned deadline. These funds which are taxable should be used for educational materials at the discretion of each resident.
As SHC hires, Medical Physics residents receive the following:
- Accommodations: SHC evaluates requests for reasonable accommodations on a case-by-case basis. If you are in need of a Workplace Accommodation, please submit a case through the HR Portal or call SHC’s Human Resources department at 650-723-4748.
See https://shc.healthysteps4u.org/loa-main/accommodation for more information.
- Health & Life: medical, dental, vision, employee assistance program, savings and spending accounts (health savings accounts, flexible spending accounts, health reimbursement account), life & disability, COBRA, and more
- Behavioral health coverage is covered by Aetna, not Optum
- Life Events: birth/adoption, death, divorce, marriage or domestic partnership, work injury or non-work injury, termination, and other life events, and more
- Retirement: retirement savings plan, and more
- Wellness: HealthySteps program
- Additional Benefits and Special Programs: adoption, auto/home insurance, back-up chlidcare, educational assistance, group legal plan, identity theft protection, pet insurance, Stanford Community benefits, special programs travel assistance, and more
Additionally, residents are supported by travel funds from the Division to pay for registration, travel and boarding for at least one national meeting during their two-year clinical residency, generally during the second year.
Residents are further supported, subject to availability of funds, for travel to one conference per year if proffered submissions to national scientific or professional national conference are accepted for oral presentation, or for equivalent scholarly participation.
Individual office or cubical space is provided for each resident including their personal computer that is connected to the departmental clinical computing infrastructure and software programs. Access to the institutional intranet and the Internet is also be provided. Access to copiers, printers, email accounts, conference rooms, and AV facilities is provided at the same level as for the physics faculty. Administrative and program support is be provided by the Program Coordinator in the division as well as other support staff.
Policies and Procedures
As an institution, Stanford School of Medicine is dedicated to the training of this nation's future leaders in the scholarly practice of clinical medicine and biomedical research.
The educational objectives of its residencies are:
- To provide excellent clinical education
- To provide opportunities to explore research and teaching
- To teach the necessary skills to sustain a lifetime of learning
- To encourage lifelong ethical and moral behavior in the practice of medicine and in the conduct of research
- To assure development of effective skills in communicating with patients, colleagues, and the public, and to ensure the humane and caring practice of medicine
For GME's up-to-date Policies and Procedures please visit this page.