How to Apply for Berg Scholars Program Participation
Interested candidates should send email to email@example.com to state their interest in applying for participation. Candidates are strongly encouraged to meet regularly with the program director, Dr. Utz, when they are considering applying to become a Berg Scholar, starting as early as Autumn Quarter of the first year of medical school. Specific deadline dates will be provided by Dr. Utz. He will help with preparing and reviewing application material prior to official submission and will also help with preparing for the oral presentation to the Berg Scholars Program Selection Committee.
The Berg Scholars Program application period is open once per year to Stanford MD program students who are approved for the split curriculum and who are in their second or third year. Application submission and reviews, interviews, oral presentation, and program acceptance will occur early Autumn Quarter each academic year.
The Berg Scholars Program application requirements and process includes:
- Being in good academic standing with a keen interest in becoming a physician-scientist
- Having applied, and being accepted, for the split curriculum pathway at the end of your first MD program year
- Meeting with the program director, Dr. Utz, to discuss your research plan
- Providing a copy of your AMCAS application that is on file with the School of Medicine
- Obtaining a letter of recommendation from your proposed mentor
- Submitting a brief written summary:
- Your motivation for a career as a physician-scientist and Berg Scholar in particular
- Planned coursework
- Proposed faculty who will serve on your Berg Scholars Program Thesis Committee (composed of a Research Mentor, Dr. Utz, and at least 1-2 additional faculty members)
- Writing a research proposal
- Presenting your research proposal to the Berg Scholars Program Selection Committee followed by a question and answer period