MCP Guidelines for Travel and Business Meals
Please review current Stanford COVID-19 Travel Guidelines before booking your trip.
MCP Department Guidelines
A business meal is a meal between 2 or more people which has a Stanford business purpose. Examples include taking a postdoc candidate out for lunch or meeting with a colleague from another institution during a meal to discuss research collaboration.
Requirements for reimbursement and/or Pcard use:
- Must be approved by your PI
- Provide a business purpose explanation: Was this a meal to discuss research collaboration? Lunch for a candidate? Tell us.
- Provide a list of all meal attendees by name, including their affiliation.
- Provide an itemized receipt.
- Do not exceed totals of: $25/$45/$80 per person for breakfast/lunch/dinner. Alcohol will not be reimbursed by your PI in most cases, check with your PI for approval. (In special circumstances, such as meeting with a collaborator, AND with approval from the faculty member, dinner can reach the maximum of $100/person for the full meal.)
For Seminar or Faculty meal guidelines, please see your administrative professional.
Additional Information and Resources
- Stanford Travel website
- School of Medicine Business Expense Guidelines
- If you are carrying Stanford owned equipment (includes laptops and computers) out of the United States, fill out the Annual or One Time Temporary Export/Reexport form
- Fly America Act
- Postdoc Travel
- Stanford Travel Tutorial can be found on Axess: Traveling for Stanford FIN-0400