Transdisciplinary Initiatives Program (TIP)
Upcoming Deadline in FY24
The Stanford Maternal and Child Health Research Institute (MCHRI) Transdisciplinary Initiatives Program (TIP) aims to support, for up to 2 years of funding, new, innovative maternal and child health research programs that could best (or only) be performed by faculty from different disciplines, interdisciplinary curricular innovations, seminars and symposia. We encourage faculty from different schools to work together on these initiatives, and strongly promote collaborations between basic and physician scientists. The TIP program aims to assist faculty in developing initial collaboration into larger research programs and bring investigators not currently engaged into maternal and child health research.
All projects must be significantly related to the health of expectant mothers and children and clearly state how the research will advance maternal and child health. The initiative must utilize a multi-PI approach where at least two of the lead investigators are from different disciplines and schools at Stanford. The two lead investigators will both make significant contributions to the research. *
*Should one of the lead investigators have an appointment in the Department of Bioengineering or have a 50/50 split appointment, please confirm the primary appointment of the investigator and provide the appointment breakdown with % FTE. If the faculty member has an appointment in Bioengineering, the primary appointment must be in BioE if the second lead investigator’s appointment is in the School of Medicine.
Applications closed. Upcoming deadline: January 2024
Details coming soon
Additional TIP Opportunity: Pediatric Cancer
MCHRI is offering a TIP award to faculty whose research is in any discipline involving pediatric brain tumor and cancer. Eligibility and application requirements are the same.
Forms for Applicants
|LOI Deadline||January 3, 2023|
|Full Proposal (by invitation) Deadline||March 21, 2023|
|Notification of Awards||May 2023|
|Award Start Date||June 1, 2023|
Total award is up to $100,000 / year for up to two years. Support could be for personnel (undergraduate, graduate, or postdoctoral students, research assistants, or associates, or faculty) and research-related expenses.
Funds cannot be used for student tuition or fees, computer equipment, office supplies, ITCC communications, journal subscriptions, membership dues, poster presentations, abstract submissions, or any indirect research costs.
- Eligible applicants must be Stanford faculty holding Clinician Educator (CE), University Tenure Line (UTL), Research (NTL-Research), or University Medical Line (UML) positions for the duration of the award.
- Utilize a multi-PI approach where at least two of the principal investigators are from two different disciplines and hold primary appointments in two different schools of the university (Graduate School of Business, Earth, Energy & Environmental Sciences, Education, Engineering, Humanities & Sciences, Law and Medicine).
- One submission allowed per applicant, per cycle.
- Visiting scholars are not eligible to serve as PI or Co-PI on TIP. They may serve as collaborators or sub-investigators.
- Another TIP award does NOT currently fund eligible applicants (neither the PI nor Co-PIs)
|YEAR||LOI Applicants||Invited Full Proposal Applicants||Grants Awarded||Funding Rate||Total Awarded|
Visit the Transdisciplinary Initiatives Program (TIP) awards page.
If the project is not completed within 12 months due to unforeseen circumstances, a no-cost extension (NCX) of up to 6 additional months may be requested (total study period not to exceed 18 months). Please complete a No-Cost Extension Request Form.
Visit Policy Updates for more information.
Visit Frequently Asked Questions for more information.
Please contact MCHRI Administration at firstname.lastname@example.org or 650-724-0279 with any questions.