Palo Alto Veterans Affairs Housestaff Resources
Use the "Jump to..." menu to find relevant content. This is a page of compiled resources for residents and fellows to be set up and work efficiently at the Palo Alto Veterans Affairs system (PAVA).
Access, Accounts, VA Email
You need these accounts. For any trouble with them, call the Enterprise Service Desk +1-855-673-4357 or the operator and ask for the Enterprise Service Desk:
- VA workstation log-in username and password
- If you need to log in remotely you will need a 'PIV exemption' on your Windows password
- Long format at Palo Alto VA: vha21\vhapal<username>
- CPRS Access code, Verify code, signature PIN
- VA badge and PIN (for logging into to work stations and signing narcotics orders)
- Intellispace (PACS) usename and password
- VA email address format: <username>@va.gov
You must have either a PIV exemption or use of a PIV card reader and a VA issued PIV card to log into to citrix remotely.
- To use a USB PIV card reader, plug the USB card reader into your computer, and insert your PIV card. Navigate to the citrix portal and click 'Click here to us Smartcard'. You will be prompted to enter your PIN and select a security certificate.
- You can request a one day PIV exemption and password reset from outside the VA network by going to: https://eauth.va.gov/accessva/
- Click on 'I am a VA Employee or Authorized Contractor' then 'Employee Self-Service'. Log in with ID.me, or create an account if needed. From here you can make your request. Once on the yourIT Service Portal select:
- Are you connecting to the VA Network at a VA Facility? No
- Are you connecting via Cisco Anyconnect (Rescue) and or CAG access? CAG
- Do you require Exemption because of COVID Emergency? No
- You will then be able to apply for Password Reset and 1 Day PIV Exemption. Click here for additional details. You will be given a new Windows password. Navigate back to the Citrix Access Gateway and select the 'username/password' option. This may need to be done in Safari browser if on a mac. If you are still unable to log in then call the Enterprise Service Desk.
VA E-mail via Outlook
Use Outlook on your VA workstation or when connected remotely. When you open it for the first time you will need to set it up:
- Open outlook
- Click ‘exchange’ for the account type
- Fill in additional details
- To access go to your desktop - VA shortcuts folder - Guimail - Login with CPRS info
Outside the hospital: +1-650-493-5000
Within hospital: 0
Press 9-1 then dial 10-digit phone number.
Palo Alto VA Phonebook (MedWiki)
Nurses and some other personnel at Palo Alto VA use Vocera to communicate.
Enterprise Service Desk
Make Technology at the VA Better
Improve Technology at the VA
- Go to the basement of building 101 (main entrance).
- Find the Linen's office.
- Ask to register for access to the scrub machines.
Use Amion to identify who is on call, then page using Smartpage either with the website or through the phone app.
Some services use ghost pagers (e.g. p27237 for Interventional Radiology consults) which do not change and can be found by searching within Global Search tab. Other services display a rotating call schedule under the On-Call Assignments tab.
Dial +1-888-838-7222 and follow prompts.
Detailed VA phone dictation instructions
The VA does not currently provide Dragon to housestaff. You can remotely log in to Stanford Epic, and then use Dragon Mobile to dictate and copy-paste content into CPRS. Detailed Dragon instructions.