Residents can report non-compliance with residency work hours to the Department of Graduate Medical Education or ACGME.
Contact Ann Dohn, GME Director, at 723-5948 if you have any questions about duty hours or outside commitments.
- Residents are not required to engage in “moonlighting.”
- All Residents engaged in external moonlighting must be licensed for unsupervised medical practice in California or the state in which the moonlighting occurs.
- Stanford’s malpractice insurance will not cover Residents for moonlighting activities.
- Residents must obtain written acknowledgement that their Program Director is aware and approves of any moonlighting activities before any moonlighting activity is undertaken.
- A copy of the written acknowledgement will be kept in the Resident’s file.
- The Program Director has the discretion to decline to approve moonlighting activities if he/she believes that such activities will interfere with the Resident’ s training progress or for other legitimate reasons.
- All external moonlighting must be logged into MedHub as work hours.
Internal moonlighting Residents are not expected to respond to pages/telephone calls from patients who are seen/operated on at outside hospitals where they do not rotate.
- Moonlighting is not permitted for:
- trainees under a J-1 visa
- active military trainees.
- PGY-1 residents
Follow this process to request moonlighting duty hour entry in Medhub:
- Log in to https://stanford.medhub.com
- Select “Moonlighting Request Forms” on the left of the home page
- Pending requests are listed
- Select “Submit New Moonlighting Request”
- The following parameters are approved for all house staff
- Location: SHC
- Description: any additional details you can add to justify request
- Type: Internal
- Start date: today (date of submission)
- End date: End of your training period in 2023 for example 5/31/23
- Max weekly hours: 20
- Files: none required
- Select “Submit”
- Trainee can now see pending request in list
- Program director will get notification of request – approval or revision requested
- PDs see this tutorial on approval in Medhub https://community.medhub.com/community/tutorial_standalone.mh?tutorialID=120
- Trainee can revise and resubmit in pending list
- GME office will approve
- Be sure to select “Moonlighting” dropdown option when entering these duty hours.