GME Diversity Committee
led by residents/fellows
We provide a comprehensive list of all the diversity groups at the department, program, and administrative level. Our goal is to make transparent the diverse support systems on all levels at Stanford School of Medicine. Let us know if we're missing any groups!
We hold several events to foster unity and support for
- prospective interviewing house staff- recruitments and socials
- current house staff - social events, network with faculty
We encounter similar but also unique situations. Know that you are not alone, and we're here to help!
If you have questions about professional development or any situations, feel free to speak with a fellow committee member or faculty advisors.
Feel free to contact the GME Diversity Committee with any questions.
Last Revised 07/19/2018
Our goal is to create a medical community that is reflective of the community and the world that we serve. We believe that we can best achieve this goal by addressing systems of privilege including those based on race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, and physical ability. Representation matters, period. Our mission and values align with the goals of Stanford Medicine.
Location - LK120
Location - LK120
- Family Medicine
- Radiation Oncology
Location - Alway M112
Location - Alway M112
- Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Orthopedic Surgery
- Thoracic Surgery
Location - TBD
Leadership & Council Members
- Anesthesia: Rudy Davis, MD
- Cardiothoracic Surgery: Tomi Obafemi, MD
- Child Neurology: Ria Pal, MD
- Dermatology: Roxana Daneshjou, MD
- Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology: Lola Oladini, MD
- Emergency Medicine: Joshua Stein, MD
- General Surgery: Huda Muhammad, MD
- Internal Medicine: Gabriela Spencer Bonilla, MD
- Neurosurgery: David Dadey, MD
- Ob/Gyn: Stephanie Melchor, MD
- Orthopaedic Surgery: Akaila Cabell, MD
- Otolaryngology: Brian Nuyen, MD
- Pathology: Oscar Silva, MD, PhD
- Pediatrics: Noelle Pineda, MD
- PM&R: Nitin Prabhakar, MD
- Psychiatry: Roy Collins, MD
- Urology: Dino Vilson, MD
- Adult Fellows: Ana Pacheco-Navarro, MD and Jorge Munoz Pineda, MD
- Pediatric Fellows: Monica Ruiz, MD and Xixi Zhao, MD
Receptions & Socials
- Prospective housestaff who are exploring a Stanford training program are encouraged to attend the Diversity Reception & Social to meet with our community.
- Dates: 11/6, 11/25, 12/12, and 1/16; from 5-6pm
- Location: D-Core L003
- Stanford Faculty and Housestaff are welcome to attend.
- Event Contact: Trey Huynh-Ngo
Opportunities for mentoring medical and pre-medical students include the Navigating Medicine series. See below for details.
- This program is to connect medical students with residents through specialty centered socials in order for organic mentoring relationships to grow.
- This is open to all medical students, but has a special focus on those students who are underrepresented in medicine.
- These networking events will feature 3 specialties per event, and you will have the opportunity to rotate between specialties to meet residents and ask questions.
- Our hope is that you meet residents you resonate with, and reach out to them after the event to continue your conversation and establish a mentee - mentor relationship.
- If you're a housestaff wishing to participate as a mentor, please contact Audrey Verde, MD, PhD, Mentorship Programs Co-Chair.
Professional Development & Academic Advancement Programs
Diversity Grand Rounds
- Anesthesia: Implicit Bias in Healthcare and Medical School Admissions by Dr. Quinn Capers (August 12)
- Internal Medicine: The Lack of Diversity in Medicine is a National Emergency by Dr. Quinn Capers (August 12)
- Neurology: Creating Inclusive Workplaces - Moving Beyond Bias in Medicine by Dr. Caroline Simard (September 6)
- Radiology: Becoming a Neuroscientist - The Impact of Access, Mentorship and Advocacy by Dr. Gentry Patrick (September 19)
End-of-the-Year Graduation Dinner
- Celebrate the end-of-the-year and say our goodbyes to our graduating housestaff.
- This event is held in June.
- Event Contact: Zahra Dawson, MD, Social Co-Chair