The FRAME-IS for tracking implementation strategies is now available: https://implementationscience.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s13012-021-01105-3
Read about The FRAME: an Expanded Framework for Reporting Adaptations and Modifications to Evidence-Based Interventions here.
This webinar from June, 2019 discusses the development of the FRAME, describes new and refined constructs, and presents a decision aid to guide decisions to adapt interventions.
If you decide to use the coding system for your project, feel free to update the codebook to reflect decision rules that align more closely with the interventions you are working with. Please check back on this page as updates to the FRAME codebooks and materials will be posted from time to time.
FRAME Excel Tracking Spreadsheet (download below)
This spreadsheet supports a centralized FRAME coding process for a project team. It lists each FRAME code, with drop-down menus and space to enter additional details when needed.
The spreadsheet was developed by Alex Dopp at RAND for the CLARO project. Note that the team included a new code to capture which Collaborative Care intervention components were involved in each adaptation; this could be replaced with a similar code for a different intervention, or removed entirely.
Coding sheets can be completd by circling or checking off the appropriate selection for each modification during or after the interview.
Self-report forms can include the following options:
- "I have done this with one of my patients/clients."
- "I have done this with half or fewer of my patients/clients."
- "I have done this with most, but not all of my patients/clients."
- "I have done this with all of my patients/clients."
Below are a few of the papers that have used the coding system:
- Relationships Between Clinician-Level Attributes and Fidelity-Consistent and Fidelity-Inconsistent Modifications to an Evidence-Based Psychotherapy
- Changes in Implementation of Two Evidence-Based Psychotherapies for PTSD in VA Residential Treatment Programs: A National Investigation
- Community Mental Health Provider Modifications to Cognitive Therapy: Implications for Sustainability
- Therapist Report of Adaptations to Delivery of Evidence-Based Practices Within a System-Driven Reform of Publicly Funded Children’s Mental Health Services
- Provider Fidelity and Modifications to Cognitive Processing Therapy in a Diverse Community Health Clinic: Associations with Clinical Change
- Iterative Decision‐making for Evaluation of Adaptations (IDEA): A decision tree for balancing adaptation, fidelity, and intervention impact
- Towards a comprehensive model for understanding adaptations’ impact: the model for adaptation design & impact (MADI)
- A Spotlight on Adaptation: Pre-Implementation of Montessori-Based Activity Programming in Long-Term Care Using the Framework for Reporting Adaptations and Modifications-Enhanced (FRAME)
- Frontiers | Assessment of modifications to evidence-based psychotherapies using administrative and chart note data from the US department of veterans affairs health care system (frontiersin.org)
- Analysis of FRAME data (A‐FRAME): An analytic approach to assess the impact of adaptations on health services interventions and evaluations - Mui - Learning Health Systems - Wiley Online Library
- Methods for capturing and analyzing adaptations: implications for implementation research | Implementation Science | Full Text (biomedcentral.com)
- Therapist Adaptations to Evidence-based Practices and Associations with Implementation Outcomes in Child Therapy Sessions - PMC (nih.gov)
- LISTS Paper: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1186/s43058-023-00529-w